Reese weight distribution hitch cracked

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Went to change my hitch yesterday and just happened to notice it was cracked! The location of the crack would have resulted in the ball separating from the truck. Scarred the crap out of me! I sent an email to Reese so we'll see what they have to say...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
   / Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #2  
Guess I need to go out and take a the ball off and see if a crack is forming.
Thanks for the heads up.

Will be interested in the response from Reese.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #3  
Reese has a lifetime guarantee on their products. I have had a hitch head replaced after the WD bars popped out the side of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't replace it.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked
Called Reese today and without proof of purchase they are not going to honor any warranty. That's the beauty of "lifetime" warranties; they're not worth the paper they're written on it if the company won't stand behind them.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #5  
Called Reese today and without proof of purchase they are not going to honor any warranty. That's the beauty of "lifetime" warranties; they're not worth the paper they're written on it if the company won't stand behind them.

Make a video of the crack, the conversation with Reese, Reese not replacing the hitch, and finalize the video by framing the problem: that you understand you don't have the sales receipt, but ask the question in consideration of Resse's lifetime warranty if Reese doesn't believe this Reese hitch to be theirs?

Then point out how long you've had the hitch, how often you've used the hitch and ask how many people keep receipt past seven years?

Post that video and email Reese customer service with a link, asking if there is anyway to work out your problem without eating the full replacement cost of a new hitch.

Be nice about it and frame both the problem, the special circumstances of your problem, as well as possible avenues Reese could take to make you a happy camper.

Good luck.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #6  
I'm with Eric. If it is demonstrably a Reese hitch and has a lifetime warranty, then why would a receipt be necessary? Well, only if the warranty says "to original purchaser" or somesuch B.S.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #7  
+1 with Eric. Most folks on the telephone help lines are hourly employees not making a career of their present jobs and no stake in the company. However, Internet videos get a lot of attention these days. I would expect Eric's idea, especially about being nice, will get some other attention.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #8  
The Reese Hitch guarantee appears to be to the original purchaser. This means selling a vehicle with the hitch on it terminates the guarantee. Without proof of purchase, I suppose they can weasel out of honoring the guarantee on this basis (though, if it was installed on a vehicle you bought new, it would be hard to see how it could be a second-owner hitch), but it isn't good business for word to get around that their "guarantee" may not be honored.

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked #9  
The Reese Hitch guarantee appears to be to the original purchaser. This means selling a vehicle with the hitch on it terminates the guarantee. Without proof of purchase, I suppose they can weasel out of honoring the guarantee on this basis (though, if it was installed on a vehicle you bought new, it would be hard to see how it could be a second-owner hitch), but it isn't good business for word to get around that their "guarantee" may not be honored.
It looks like the item in question is a "Weight Distribution Shank" such as Reese - WD Shanks rather than the vehicle side receiver hitch.

Aaron Z

/ Reese weight distribution hitch cracked
It looks like the item in question is a "Weight Distribution Shank" such as Reese - WD Shanks rather than the vehicle side receiver hitch.

Aaron Z

Actually, it's the head which is bolted to the shank. Reese - Trunnion Bar Wt.-Dist. Basically, the ball is half separated from the rest of the head. Looking at where the crack started it's pretty obvious there is a stress concentration at the sharp inside corner. Bet this wouldn't have happened if that corner had been radiused. I filed a complaint with the NTSB so we'll see where that goes. If I get some time, I'll try to run the head over to a local dealer and see if they'll exchange it. Frankly, I'm doubtful.