Refill 16oz Propane Canisters?

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #11  
Now that you brought it up, what are the economics of using propane as a fuel for your home? I would like to use a gas range, water heater, and central heat but natural gas is not available so propane or butane are the only options that would be available to me. How does the cost of these fuels for home use compare to electric service? I know that natural gas is much more efficient than electricity for water and space heating but the cost of fuels is no longer related to the cost of production and delivery or at least it is not in this area. I used propane for outdoor cooking until they obsoleted all my tanks and it did seem to be a very expensive fuel. A 20 lb tank did not seem to last very long at $7/refill and I am sure the price has gone up. If bulk propane costs about $.69/gal, how long does a 500 gal ($345 + taxes, delivery, surcharges?) last? I assume rural delivery is a very expensive proposition like having dirt delivered. It cost me $120 to have $80 worth of dirt delivered. Fuels seem to be magnet for all sorts of taxes and fees like telephone bills.

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #12  
Propane costs around here (middle TN) are considerably more than 0.69 a gallon - I just had my tank filled for 1.68 a gallon! I have a friend who got a group of residential propane heat users together and managed to get a contract price for 0.99 a gallon, but that was a one time thing and was told to expect to pay at least 1.20 later this winter, and possibly even more than that. I don't know how propane prices vary around the country, but last winter it was about 0.20 a gallon cheaper than the current price.

-Chuck

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #13  
I just had my tank filled at .709 per gallon, plus about 2% for tax. It was a summer special, but some reason did not get filled until September.

The 500 gallon tank lasts all winter for the shop to maintain a minimum temperature. If I used it more in the winter it might not last. They charge a dollar a year for tank rental.

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #14  
I'm in Dripping Springs, just outside your neighborhood of Austin. Last time I filled it was around $1.35 a gallon and I have a 500 gallon tank. During winter it lasts about 2months if I'm lucky. I have the furnace, water heater, range and gas fireplace on propane. For the rest of the seasons I can get by on the one tank, so for the whole year I'm probably using 3 tanks full.

If I had to do it again I will try all electric next time....

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #15  
Wow! That is some expensive heat. My winter electric bill for an all electric house is only $150/month. I was thinking about using propane for my new house and shop near Lampasas but I think I will stay with all electric. This makes the cost of a waste oil heater seem more reasonable for shop heat.

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #16  
Centex, Around here the dealers quote a delivered price for a 300 gallon minimum. Last year I think it was .74 a gallon. I have two tanks so I can get em filled late summer or fall to get the cheap price and then I can go until the next year. They also have a contract keep full deal that lets you lock in a price. I like having more than one place to get the gas, lets you shop for the best price. The tanks can be fun too, here one is painted like a watermellon and the other a holstein.

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #17  
In my neck of the woods the "Meth labbers" use propane bottles to transport anhydous amonia used in the stew or whatever they call it. Having equipment in your possession that allows filling of propane bottles not only raises eye brows and questions but is prosecutable. Add guns, ammo, camo, coleman fuel, etc. makes for a long discussion with the local law enforcement, especially if you have allergies as I do and have allergy medication on hand, another ingredient. I know in some areas this is not a problem, it is in mine. I also would like to fill my little bottles ( with LP) for our camp heater, haven't due to the stated concerns. I catch em on sale and hopefully avoid some legal problems.

/ Refill 16oz Propane Canisters? #18  
Here in So MD the price is $1.29. Just filled my tank with 309 Gals, but that was for the whole year. We had a warm winter. I have a new all gas house (medium size) - heat pump (gas backup), water heater, clothes dryer, and cooking. $400 for the year in my book is not at all bad. It certainly is cheaper than what I spent in my old house, $89/mo, for natural gas.

My neighbors in all electric houses are running @ $150 - $225 /mo. Bottom line for me is that the propane is cheap enough to afford and the convenience of never running out of hot water worth it!