Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun?

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #31  
A chainsaw training class, interesting and prob very informative, a class like that would have prob saved me a lot of time over the years.

I started running saws before I could legally drive a car, my life at one point was building trails and running four wheelers, those trees get exhausting to cut up with a machete and a hand saw so I started to sneak my dad's mcculloch eager beaver most of the time which made making trails amazing, on bigger stuff I would sneak his Husqvarna Model 55 with a 20in bar.

I pinched a lot of bars in my day, tree didn't fall where I wanted them to ext, it took quite a few years to get good at it, all could have been avoided by a class like you took.

It was a GREAT experience!! The organization that taught the class was called FISTA, but it was similar to a Game Of Logging course. I too ran saws before I could drive a car and by the time I took that class I had worked for a couple of tree services and thought I had it all figured out.

I was wrong. Big time. I learned more about sawing in that 8 hours than in a year of working for a tree service. I have been a safer and more productive operator ever since. I highly recommend taking a class like that to anyone who runs a saw, regardless of their prior experience. Like the instructor said, cutting wood and running saws is extremely dangerous, and relying on on-the-job training is not good enough.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #32  
It was a GREAT experience!! The organization that taught the class was called FISTA, but it was similar to a Game Of Logging course. I too ran saws before I could drive a car and by the time I took that class I had worked for a couple of tree services and thought I had it all figured out.

I was wrong. Big time. I learned more about sawing in that 8 hours than in a year of working for a tree service. I have been a safer and more productive operator ever since. I highly recommend taking a class like that to anyone who runs a saw, regardless of their prior experience. Like the instructor said, cutting wood and running saws is extremely dangerous, and relying on on-the-job training is not good enough.

I was always taught in the HVAC trade that the guys most prone to getting hurt are the ones who know it all and are overly confident in there abilities unwilling to learn other ways.

I just now thought to myself "I know how to use a saw, I have ran one for over 10 years, what would I possibly pick up from a class" but I think I will look into the class, I'm no logger, how much did it cost?

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #34  
I was always taught in the HVAC trade that the guys most prone to getting hurt are the ones who know it all and are overly confident in there abilities unwilling to learn other ways.

I just now thought to myself "I know how to use a saw, I have ran one for over 10 years, what would I possibly pick up from a class" but I think I will look into the class, I'm no logger, how much did it cost?

I paid $100, and it was worth every penny.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #35  
I am curious too. Though not seeing classes I want, or not looking hard enough. Thinking start with basics, and then intermediate. I am sure things to learn from basics.

FISTA-Forest Industry Safety & Training Alliance, Inc.-Practice Makes Permanent

Probably best to call them and ask about classes that are open to the public. I think the primarily teach classes to private companies or organizations. When I inquired about it they wanted $1200 to come teach a day long class, which includes class time and hands on time in the woods. So, if they don't have any public classes available you could try to rustle up a dozen friends and pay $100 each.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #36  
I took a chainsaw training course. The guy who taught it (full time logger and instructor) said if you want to grease your bar sprocket you should do it after every tank of fuel. He said the other option is to never grease it. His info was that if you grease it only occasionally the grease prevents the bar oil from reaching the bearing. If you never grease it the bar oil does a fine job of lubing the bearing.

FWIW, I run saws quite a bit. I have kinda a lot of saws and many bars, so my usage is spread out over all of them, but I've never once greased a bar tip and I've never had a single tip failure. I've only been sawing a lot for about 5 years, so I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but in my opinion dinking around with a grease gun isn't something I need to add to my saw maintenance routine.

Yep. I've been a member at arboristsitedotcom for years. several discussions about grease/no grease. No grease won hands down. My understanding is that the manufacturers did away with the greasable nose as there was no advantage to them.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #37  
I took a chainsaw training course. The guy who taught it (full time logger and instructor) said if you want to grease your bar sprocket you should do it after every tank of fuel. He said the other option is to never grease it. His info was that if you grease it only occasionally the grease prevents the bar oil from reaching the bearing. If you never grease it the bar oil does a fine job of lubing the bearing.

FWIW, I run saws quite a bit. I have kinda a lot of saws and many bars, so my usage is spread out over all of them, but I've never once greased a bar tip and I've never had a single tip failure. I've only been sawing a lot for about 5 years, so I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but in my opinion dinking around with a grease gun isn't something I need to add to my saw maintenance routine.

I never have figured out how a spinning sprocket can get bar oil in the bearings. I kinda liken it to a spinning wheel. Put anything (water, oil) on a spinning wheel and see how far that travels to the center. Inertia throws everything away from center. I don't see how it happens.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #38  
I am not a logger nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night but I have used a few chain saws along with a lot of friends that have used them and this is the first time I ever heard of greasing a chain saw nose. I never have greased any of mine and never had one fail except from one that got pinched severely. I do try to clean the saw dust out every time I sharpen the chain. I just blow them out with compressed air and then put a few drops of oil on the sprocket. I have never seen a bar with a grease hole although I do have one or two types of the needle adapters. One looks like a hypodermic needle with a grease zerk on the end.
I use it to grease some "sealed bearings" that had dried out. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the metal seal and filled the bearing with grease using the needle adapter. After filling I dabbed some silicon on the hole to keep dirt and water out. That was on a disk I had bought and so far none of the bearings have failed although it doesn't get any use now that I have my tiller.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #39  
I never have figured out how a spinning sprocket can get bar oil in the bearings. I kinda liken it to a spinning wheel. Put anything (water, oil) on a spinning wheel and see how far that travels to the center. Inertia throws everything away from center. I don't see how it happens.

You must be quite the man, to never turn your saw off.

Also chains have a top and bottom part of the link. Yes top throws it off. But where do you think the part of the link in the bar throws it? Take a bucket of water, stand in front of a wall, and throw the water at the wall. Get back to us.

Also the bar has a top and a bottom too.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #40  

Yep, like zerk says, when the chain isn't spinning that warm bar oil is gonna run down onto that sprocket. I mean think about it like this: I've never ever greased a bar tip, and I've never had one fail. They must get lube from somewhere, right?

Here's a fun fact: if you work a 6 hour day and run the saw for 25% of that time, your bar sprocket is going to rotate over 650,000 times. There's no way it's gonna do that for very many days without getting lube. So, while it may be hard to believe, it does work that way.

By the way, the above statistic is from Amazing Facts About Pro Saws
These guys are awesome to buy supplies from and they seriously know their stuff. Their site is a great place to take your saw knowledge to the next level.