refilling coolant

/ refilling coolant #1  

tomt9857

Tractor
kubota L3000dt
Hi After replacing the thermostat on my Kubota L3000DT I need to get another liter and a half of coolant/water to get the total 6.3 liters to fill to capacity. Should I just start it and let it circulate until it disperses enough to make room for more? Thanks

/ refilling coolant #2  
In that respect it's pretty much like a car. If you can add coolant, add it. If the system appears full you can't add. Run the engine until it's warm. That should burp air out of the system. When it cools enough to remove the cap you can add. Just don't attempt to remove the cap when the system is hot and under pressure.

/ refilling coolant
Thanks for your reply. I flushed the system out so I would think that it should take the rated capacity. I even measured it out and have like a liter and a half to get to capacity

/ refilling coolant #4  
Yup,what ^he^ said. Just top it off a couple of times after it cool's down after being used.

/ refilling coolant
OK Thanks all

/ refilling coolant #6  
One of the problems that often comes up is an air lock in the system. When you refill always try to have the radiator fill neck be the highest point of the system and take your time filling. Sometimes you have to jack the front end up to get it higher, another trick I learned is when the system is nearly full start the machine, with the cap off,and let it run at low idle and circulate to expel air pockets. You have to be very careful to not let it get it too hot and keep adding small amounts as you go.

I used to work on quite a few Japanese mini trucks with 3 cylinder engines and they are really tough. Several of them have a vent, either at the thermostat housing or lower on the engine to help rid them of air. Almost always it takes several additions of coolant after running to get rid of all the air. Always keep the over flow reservoir full.

/ refilling coolant
One of the problems that often comes up is an air lock in the system. When you refill always try to have the radiator fill neck be the highest point of the system and take your time filling. Sometimes you have to jack the front end up to get it higher, another trick I learned is when the system is nearly full start the machine, with the cap off,and let it run at low idle and circulate to expel air pockets. You have to be very careful to not let it get it too hot and keep adding small amounts as you go.

I used to work on quite a few Japanese mini trucks with 3 cylinder engines and they are really tough. Several of them have a vent, either at the thermostat housing or lower on the engine to help rid them of air. Almost always it takes several additions of coolant after running to get rid of all the air. Always keep the over flow reservoir full.

Thanks Jim

/ refilling coolant #8  
The factory fill total is for a dry engine right out of a crate. If backflushing was done did you drain the block completely as well? (block plugs).
some engines hold a lot of coolant in them.

If you are uncomfortable with starting the engine to see if it will give more room let it sit over night. Sometimes that helps. Also look for the highest engine point that may have a plug in it. Carefully open the plug and see if air comes out.

Also... Keep in mind if the temp sensor is airlocked with no coolant around it the gauge may not show just how high the temp is if you are running it to get the air out. There is nothing worse when watching the gauge and suddenly see it peg HOT.

A trick is to drill a pin hole in the thermostat before installing. Its common on newer troublesome engines to see a hole already in it.