REMINDER - Ice is very slippery!

/ REMINDER - Ice is very slippery! #21  
I thought I was being clever yesterday coming home "the back way" with a horse trailer behind my GMC Sierra by putting it in low 4, first gear to creep down the steepest part of the road. Halfway down it started to slide on ice(no traction, but lots of compression braking!) and I only managed to get it going straight again by accelerating. Pretty exciting ride and only a little denting on the trailer fender from our slide into the ditch. I'm glad the trailer was empty. I think I'll wait 'til spring to go that way again.
BOB

/ REMINDER - Ice is very slippery!
I thought I was being clever yesterday coming home "the back way" with a horse trailer behind my GMC Sierra by putting it in low 4, first gear to creep down the steepest part of the road. Halfway down it started to slide on ice(no traction, but lots of compression braking!) and I only managed to get it going straight again by accelerating. Pretty exciting ride and only a little denting on the trailer fender from our slide into the ditch. I'm glad the trailer was empty. I think I'll wait 'til spring to go that way again.
BOB

You win! Wow, what a ride - you're very lucky to have not had more damage done. I bet you didn't breath for a few seconds during the slide!

/ REMINDER - Ice is very slippery! #23  
Yeah, that's a pretty helpless feeling when the wheels break loose and everything just starts sliding every which way. The steep part of this road is cut down into the ground and I slid into the ditch on the steeper, uphill side. I was lucky it was a relatively shallow ditch and the hillside sloped back enough not to rip up the trailer more.
BOB

/ REMINDER - Ice is very slippery! #24  
You've probably already figured this out, but your mistake was putting the truck in 4-Low. I did that once in deep snow. I was going downhill and had the turn in a curve. Truck wouldn't turn at all.

4-Low is for pulling things uphill. When going downhill, I take my truck completely out of 4WD. The front axles engaged can actually put your truck into a slide when you try to steer.