Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17
Thanks, it gives me another option to look at.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #22  
Highbeam said:
I was also going to suggest the 223 based on cheap ammo and effectiveness. It's not ideal for everything but does quite a nice job.

I have to agree on recommending a .223 for anything varmint and although I'm an outspoken advocate of the 5.56/.223 caliber, I have to disagree with you on the price. I'm ALWAYS hoarding/stocking up on 5.56/.223 ammo and I can definitely tell you that it's not cheaper than .17 ammo, no matter how you slice it! I know you didn't say it was Highbeam, I'm just making my point:)

Military surplus, XM-193 is the cheapest quality ammo you can find on the internet. I'm still finding it occasionally for $380.00 per thousand and roughly 20.00 for shipping, or simply put, .40 cents per round. You have to shop around for it though. If you go with factory brand UMC, Remington, Winchester or Federal 50gr from Wallymart or any of the other brand name ammo, it'll cost you more than that.

Federal V-Shock, Hornady tipped 17grain - 17 caliber ammo will cost you about 14.00 with tax at Wallymart for 50 rounds. Simply put, about .28 cents per round. You won't find .28 cents a round 223 ammo anywhere that's worth a hoot, and if you do, it'll be Wolf. I'm not a Wolf ammo fan, I've seen too many jams, misfires and double-feeds with it, steel cased, brass moly or whatever.

My .28 cents worth...

Podunk

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #23  
Good Afternoon Robert,
Im certainly no expert at guns, but I am a big advocate of Ruger ! I have their model #77 magnum, their 10/22, and I also have their model #77 22-250. I have had virtually no problems with any of those firearms. My Uncle Dave also has their #77 17 . He regularly takes out varmints at 200 yds with that gun, and swears by it. Im sure there are a number of good weapons on the market in that caliper but Ruger has worked great for us !

Good luck in your decision ! :)

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #24  
The Remington factory is just a ways down the road from you in Ilion, NY if you are still thinking about trading for a 22-250. I would think if you walked into the the factory with problems like this they would bend over backwards for you.

I had my gun dealer send it back for me as it was the easiest for me. I have not heard back from Remington yet but will let everyone know what happens.

I do wish I had it though as there are a couple woodchucks needing some lead in their diets:mad:

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #26  
I will second (or third) the Marlin as the way to go in .17 rimfire. Having said that, I shoot most varmits with an AR15 using 55 gr HP's. Guess I just like the AR format.

What does everyone think of the Remington Model Five? Remington Model Five

I received a call from Remington today and they are offering me the Model Five as a replacement to the 597 (since I told them I didn't want another 597 back). It is their only other .17 rimfire and being a bolt action I shouldn't have this problem again. But I do not recall ever seeing a Model five before so hopefully someone here will have some experience with them. I will talk to my gun dealer about it later and see what he thinks also.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #28  
Are they giving you anything else? -- there is a significant difference in the MSRP between the two.You are almost in the range of a 700 in 223 (at around 600 for the 17 mag 597)

Are they giving you anything else? -- there is a significant difference in the MSRP between the two.You are almost in the range of a 700 in 223 (at around 600 for the 17 mag 597)

So far I only talked to the lady for about a minute and I didn't counter with anything yet as I didn't know much about the model Five. In my letter I told them I wanted a .17 for woodchucks and the Model Five is the only other .17 HMR they have.

I did talk to my gun dealer and he feels the Model Five is a good gun and the bolt action will eliminate my problems with the auto loader. I just don't know what to ask for as I don't like asking for things. A lot of people I have talked to thinks I should ask for the most expensive gun they have or even multiple guns and I just don't feel right doing so. I don't need the most expensive gun they have and to be honest, I really only need a .17 HMR right now. I have thought about buying a 1187 12 gauge in the past but given my recent history I am kind of leary of them now and really do not need an 1187 as my Mossberg 500 does a great job. I don't even know why I wanted one except for the fact it was a prize in the deer contest here and was the only prize I really wanted in the contest.

So what do you do when the only rifle you really want is a .17 HMR? I have way too many guns as it is. I guess I could ask for two of them so I could give one to my dad but I don't feel comfortable asking for too much.

/ Remington 597 Magnum junk, need advice for a new .17 #30  
How about the Model 5 and a cheque for the difference? -- seems fair and not taking any advantage and you get your 17:p