remington 770

/ remington 770
havn't fired a marlin boltgun.. so can't comapir. savage bolt strikes me as being stiff.... but still acceptable...

/ remington 770 #52  
foggy1111 said:
I was looking for a low-price bolt action gun last year. After looking at the various brands....I bought the Savage American Classic. I bought it in 7mm08 as its a fairly lightweight gun and I want my grandsons to us it. This has proven to be a good choice....with low felt recoil.

It has a great trigger, nice walnut stock, detachable box magazine, and is nicely finished. Savage recently cleaned up the unsightly barrel nut....and the end result is a good looking rifle that is accurate....at a low price. Savage has always made accurate guns IMO. They have a great barrel and trigger. I like the tang safety too....as one of my grandsons is a lefty.

I bought a good quality 3x9 Bushell xxxxx scope for about $125. - was on sale at Natchez.

My grandson can shoot 1/2" groups with my handloads. He shot a hole through a quarter at 100 yards to make a charm for his girlfriends necklace. ;)

IIRC....I have less than $500 in this rig.

I also have a savage 14 American classic except in .243! Wonderful gun! One f my favorite I've ever owned with no plans to ever get rid of it. These seem like a well kept secret as you are the first I have heard that owned one besides myself. I had to special order mine, did you?

/ remington 770 #53  
Soundguy said:
havn't fired a marlin boltgun.. so can't comapir. savage bolt strikes me as being stiff.... but still acceptable...

I agree that savage bolt guns are slightly on the stiff side, especially if you're used to a Remington 700. The American classic line has the smoothest bolt savage has ever made though. Still not quite as smooth as a 700 but very nice still.

/ remington 770 #54  
Well I have agree about the Savage/ Stevens they are a reliable gun that will take alot of abuse. Everyone keeps talking about Remington 700's, it is a fine shooter for mass produced, but the Ruger M77 is built alot better and will out shoot the Remington.
If you want a beater to carry in the truck check out the military surplus guns at the gun shows, while I am not a fan of the AKs some of the other ones use a Mauser action which is real close to bullet proof, and you can't beat one for taking abuse and still fire reliably.
Just remember, it is your money if you have doubts about the 770 leave it alone and put a little more with it and buy something you are comfortable with.

/ remington 770 #55  
All the talk about Savage... I really like my 1950's Savage 99 in .300 Savage. Great rifle!

/ remington 770 #56  
The ruger 77 is a fine gun. I have a pair of em, they shoot very well also. But their price is on par with rems 700. That where the savage and the marlin really shine. The value for the price is hard to beat.

/ remington 770 #57  
How did the son get killed? Did somebody forget the first rule of firearms, which is to NEVER point a gun at anything you don't want to kill? I have had guns fire when I didn't want them to, or expect them to go off, but have never killed anything in the process. Last time one went off, I killed a piece of tile in the kitchen of my Dad's house. He took the gun from me and proceded to show me what I had done wrong... and ended up with another hole in the floor (which was less than six months old at the time). We took the gun outside and unloaded it, and it was tagged for repair.
David from jax

According to the article I linked to, the mother was unloading the firearm with the safety on and it went off, went through both sides of a camper and killed the son who was standing on the other side.

/ remington 770 #58  
Anywho, let's let the 700 saftey lawsuit issues go for now and not hijack the thread about the 770. If anyone wants to discuss it further, let's start another thread. :thumbsup:

/ remington 770 #59  
I also have a savage 14 American classic except in .243! Wonderful gun! One f my favorite I've ever owned with no plans to ever get rid of it. These seem like a well kept secret as you are the first I have heard that owned one besides myself. I had to special order mine, did you?

You have good taste! ;)

I never saw this gun before buying it.....I just read several articles by a few well regarded gun cranks...and saw a few pictures. I own a few other Savage guns...and have always liked the (now much-copied) accutrigger. This gun has a nice appearance with a deep blue finish, great walnut stock and a good butt-pad.

Getting rid of the ugly "savage nut" was a huge advancement in this brand. The new nut blends with the gun barrel while retaining the unique Savage ability of headspacing and the good attributes of accuracy.

I have a few other brands and a few custom guns that are nicer to hold....but this gun is nothing to sneeze at....and it shoots as good as guns costing much more. The gun has a classy look. Only criticisms I have is that the bolt drags slightly on the rear and I am not a big fan of detachable magazines (although my family likes them).

To me....too often the detachable box magazine can be lost or not installed correctly or otherwise malfunction at the moment of truth. Still....it's handy for tree stand hunters.

Savage is kinda re-inventing their company....and....Savage is a good choice.:thumbsup:

/ remington 770
If you want a beater to carry in the truck check out the military surplus guns at the gun shows, while I am not a fan of the AKs some of the other ones use a Mauser action which is real close to bullet proof, and you can't beat one for taking abuse and still fire reliably.

the overwhelming majority of C&R guns I collect do not have scopes or do not have rcvrs that are drilled for a scope mount. NO WAY i'm gonna buba-ize a piece of history and slap a scope on it. I also don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere, needing ammo for my 100 yr old milsurp gun and walk in and ask if anyone has any 7.5x54 french for my MAS 36? which is a rugged ugly gun, that you usually find in mint condition, because they were never used and only dropped once.. :)

even that gun I wouldn't buba-ize.. :)
hmm.. maybee 8mm lebel.. nah.. 8x56RIMMED for a mannlicher straight pull... wait... 41 swiss rimmfire for a good ol m78 vetterli ! ;)

soundguy