Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Borrowed my Father's electric saw, after about 10 minutes it just died. I plugged another appliance into the outlet with the same cord, checked the oil level and free movement of the sprocket.

It's apart and I was guessing the switch or the motor brushes. Can anyone help me with troubleshooting - I know next to nothing about these units.

Attachments

• image-2042209278.jpg
    image-2042209278.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 245
   / Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #2  
did you check the fuel level? j/k

The switch should be easy enough to trouble shoot with a multi-meter. Should read zero resistance in "On" position and infinite in "Off".

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #3  
Any chance it has a ground-fault plug that's bad or maybe just tripped?

Switch maybe. If the brushes were significantly worn, it would probably have given you some clues before it just abruptly quit. Should be able to check the switch with an ohmmeter. The "free" ones from Harbor Freight are perfect for this!

Good luck.

- Jay

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #4  
Did you possibly trip the hand guard? Could be the switch but I wouldn't spend much money on parts or repair. These saws are inexpensive.....under $100 at most home stores. Good luck.....

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #5  
did you check the cord itself?...check for continuity from the plug prongs to the switch...

check the commutator for debris/wood fibers etc...

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #6  
Did you possibly trip the hand guard? Could be the switch but I wouldn't spend much money on parts or repair. These saws are inexpensive.....under $100 at most home stores. Good luck.....

Yep, they're too cheap to spend much money on, but of course if you can fix it yourself that's another matter. Three years ago, when we had a little storm that knocked down a Bradford pear tree in my yard, and it was blocking the door to my garden tool storage building, I went to Home Depot and bought a 14" Homelite electric and was absolutely amazed at how well it worked, and I see on the Home Depot website that they are still $49.97 which is what I paid 3 years ago.

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #7  
I have the same saw on a pole saw, just looked through the book on trobleshooting. Of course they say take it to a service center for brush replacement, but it isn't difficult. These do not have a kick back guard, and I've seen angle grinders that have brushes with a plastic spring loaded plunger that lifts the brush when it wears down, saving the commutator from getting scored. When they go it's just like someone pulled the plug; I'd have a look at them after I'd checked the cord and switch for flaws. If it was running fine just prior, it can't have very much wrong, if it didn't let the smoke out.

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running
Ehhh.... I broke the switch trying to remove it. Ordered a new switch. If that's not the problem I'm not going to spend more to fix it based on new purchase price.

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running
Oh and thanks to all for the help. :)

/ Remington Electric Chain Saw Stopped Running #10