remotes

/ remotes #1  

Johnagain

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
After reading all the posts from remotes and grapples I have gotten so confused. I would like to know the differences between some things. I only have the remotes for the FEL at this time.
1. What is the difference between just remotes, Power beyond and top/tilt?
2. What do I need to control these things?
3. What is the purpose of the SCV?
4. I have a BB & FEL. Can I use the up and down function from the FEL for a top/tilt for the BB with a purchase of just a cylinder with the loader removed or disconnected?
5. I might be adding a grapple attachment in the future. Could I us the power beyond or top/tilt hydrolics to run the grapple cylinders?
Plumbing and installation would be no problem for me but just not sure what I need. I have no problem using one hydrolic function for another because I rarely us more than one item at a time. As with most people money is always an issue other wise I would just go to the dealer and tell them I want everything

/ remotes #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1. What is the difference between just remotes, Power beyond and top/tilt? )</font>

Remotes are additional hydraulic connections typically activated by a fender mounted lever. Power beyond is a feature of the hydraulic valve that lets unused fluid pass directly thru the valve to the next valve in the circuit. All valves in the circuit except for the last one must have power beyond capabilities. Top/Tilt (TNT) uses 2 sets of remotes to control a hydraulic top link and a hydraulic tilt link on your 3pt hitch.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2. What do I need to control these things? )</font>

To control additional hydraulic functions like top/tilt you will need one set of remotes for each function.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 3. What is the purpose of the SCV? )</font>

Selective control valve is the terminology that is usually used by JD for their hydraulic valves. AN SCV is usually one spool (ie. one function).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 4. I have a BB & FEL. Can I use the up and down function from the FEL for a top/tilt for the BB with a purchase of just a cylinder with the loader removed or disconnected?)</font>

Yes, but you will need two cylinders, one for the top link and one for the tilt link. You will also need to plumb hoses from the rear top/tilt cylinders to the hydraulic control block that is used for the FEL valve.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 5. I might be adding a grapple attachment in the future. Could I us the power beyond or top/tilt hydrolics to run the grapple cylinders?
Plumbing and installation would be no problem for me but just not sure what I need. I have no problem using one hydrolic function for another because I rarely us more than one item at a time. As with most people money is always an issue other wise I would just go to the dealer and tell them I want everything )</font>

Your best bet is to go with a diverter setup that uses one of the FEL functions, via a button on the joystick. There are plenty of threads here on TBN that describe how to set this up and what parts you need. Using the TNT functionality is not the most ideal way to go about it.

Your questions indicate that you are still unsure about what you want/need. You still need to do a lot of homework by reading up on TNT and grapple setups here on TBN. Your dealer should be able to help but don't let him get carried away.

/ remotes
Thanks for the reply MadReferee! The reason I'm so wishywashy is the fact I just don't know what each operation requires. This is my first tractor and I know that I can use it so much more that what I'm doing now. I guess I need to go to the dealer and sit down and talk them so I can get a clear visual picture of flow directions controls and everything needed for the diferent setups. You have answered a number of questions for me. I didn't even know that the TNT required a cylinder on the tilt side of the 3 pt hitch, I thought it was just the top link.

/ remotes #4  
wishywashy?? I don't think so

Don't feel bad about asking questions here at TBN. That's how we all learn.

/ remotes #5  
For the grapple, an electric button with diverter servo is good, it puts all 3 options (loader lift, bucket curl, & grapple control) all on one lever. You can use a rar remote for it, & I would if that is what I _had_. Then you need to switch your hand back & forth between the loader joystick & the grapple (rear remote) lever. Ok, but makes for a longer day if you are doing 4 hours of grapple work......

For the top & tilt, sure you can remove the loader & use the loader control joystick & remotes. But, you won't be happy. No one removes the loader to use 3pt equipment.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif This is sure possible, but not a likely way to go & be happy.

For a Top & Tilt, there is a hyd cylinder that extends or retracts the top link (Top part), and a short hyd cylinder that extends or retracts one of the vertical lifters for a 3pt arm (Tilt part). you can get just one of these deals, not both. sounds like you were thinking of just a hyd top arm, not a full Top & Tilt?

You will need one reear remote for a Top arm, and 2 rear remotes for a full Top & Tilt.

In theory, you can add all of that to your tractor. Gonna be $$$ tho. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, what will you use more, a grapple, or other stuff hooked up to the rear? That is the type I would go with.

Currently, you have 2 remote valves, which are running your loader. You can use these for other things if you disable/ remove the loader.

You can add an electric diverter to one of the loader actions, and swap between bucket curl & (something else) with a push button. Typically works well with a grapple, can be used to run something else instead but not quite as handy for 'other things' and becomes complicated if you need more than one set of ports.

You can add a (several) hydraulic vlaves with ports to the rear, and use this (these) to run all sorts of things same as the push button deal. These are more handy for rear facing stuff and much better for multiple ports, but works for a grapple too.

--->Paul

/ remotes
I don't feel bad about asking questions here. I have been doing lots of reading and just getting in over my head so I just needed to get my exact questions answered. Everybody has a world of knowledge here!!

/ remotes
Thanks for the reply. I'm just learning more and more. The tractor is used for a part time business. Up till now I have been doing mostly bushhogging and light grading. Most grading has been on my land to build a 40/45 ft. pole barn that will later be turned into a garage. Today I started a land clearing job for a customer that will take many weeks. I had made a root rake for knocking over trees and digging up roots. Today I put it to the real test and found out the I could knock over trees up to 6-7 inches in diameter I was doing good until I backed into a stump and broke on of the vertical lifting arms. I had BB attached for weight. In the future I will be looking to also do some site leveling so I think now that I have broke the lifting arm I will have the TNT installed and probably use on of those remotes for a ATI grapple arm that I will modify to fit my rake. I just don't see me using the grapple and BB at the some time.

Now with that said is it possible to run the controls for all the FEL including open and close for grapple to the joystick without using a diverter to run the grapple in the future?

/ remotes #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now with that said is it possible to run the controls for all the FEL including open and close for grapple to the joystick without using a diverter to run the grapple in the future? )</font>

The FEL control valve only gives you two functions, lift and curl. You will either need a diverter or another valve with multiple spools to add more functions. That is, unless you want to disconnect/connect/reconnect hoses every time you want to use another function.

/ remotes #9  
My take on this is that you can be a lot more productive if the grapple control (button) is on the same joystick that you use to operate the FEL. Your hand doesn't need to move from control to control. You can see how we handled this problem by clicking on our signature link below.

Had a neighbor add a grapple to his TN, he was doing a lot of grapple work at the time and started out using one of his rear remotes to control the grapple. Just a short time later we added a button to the joystick on his TN and an electric diverter which freed up the remote and made his job a lot easier.

You can use a rear remote it will work, but the latter is way more productive.

/ remotes #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Now with that said is it possible to run the controls for all the FEL including open and close for grapple to the joystick without using a diverter to run the grapple in the future? )</font>

I'm not sure I follow the question. Generally you would have an electric diverter with the button on the joystick. This could power the grapple, or power some other hyd implement, or be connected to nothing.

If you don't push the button, the hyd act as they always do, now. If you push the button, hyd stop going to the loader (curl, perhaps) and are diverted to the other set of ports, typically the grapple - or whatever.

--->Paul

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Unused 2024 SKLP SK45T Car Lift, (A33079)
Unused 2024 SKLP...
Unused 2024 4000 Gallon Water Tank, (A33078)
Unused 2024 4000...
Yanmar 3110D Tractor (A33041)
Yanmar 3110D...
1994 John Deere 7800 Tractor (A33041)
1994 John Deere...
2014 Toyota 8FGU30 6,000lbs Cushion Tire Forklift (A32932)
2014 Toyota 8FGU30...
New Self Dumping Trash Hopper (A34302)
New Self Dumping...