Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences

/ Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
anyone have a picture or know how to put in removable 2x6 fence Rails ?

I ve got a few places id like to be able to drop in/pull out 2x6 fence rails ( sections on fence and the Run-in shed), ie dont want to install another set of gates (too much $ right now).

Id like to see how someone has contructed the pockets/slots on each post to allow the 2x6 rails to seat and still be secure.

thanks aot

/ Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences #2  
Haven't done it, but just take a thickness of board like you want to remove, cut it to be the width of the post to make a spacer, and the nail a longer board over it to 'capture' the board you want to insert and remove.

Like this.

Attachments

• post.JPG
    post.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 583
   / Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences
Thats exactly what i ended up doing, thanks, works well,

/ Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences #4  
Just for your information. Some of the farm supply stores down this way have a metal Z shaped bracket that is nailed to the post. It does the same thing as what you made out of wood.

well it seems that one of our Horses has already figured out how to slide the rail sideways out of its slot !! to get into the other paddock (clever little filly). They can't lift it because i put a stopper block above the pocket to stop that (ie putting a head under the rail and lifting it). So....now i have to come up with method to stop it sliding while in place but still allow it to slide from one side of the Shed to the other.

the shed straddles 2 paddocks, depending which paddock the beasts are in depends on which 10' opening (of the 20' shed) is open or blocked by the rails. this way they get the use of the entire shed no matter what.

im thinking of drilling a hole in each 2x6 rail at each end, and inserting a wooden peg which can be removed. or attaching a mental Eye/Ring to whch i can attach a clip of some sort.

on top of this ....i hear they're spenig time during the day in the shed and using it a a scratching post. not usually a problem if i had the roof finished (which will fully stabilize the shed) unfortunatley i only got the rafters up, no cross memebers , sheeting or metal yet...so it still flexes more than it will after im done. I hope its still in one Piece by the weekend.

/ Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences #6  
Drill an over sized hole and put a dowel in it. It should be on the opposite side with animals in it. Especially horses. They always seem to "learn" how things work and manage to get out. :D:D

Wedge

/ Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences #7  
Drill an over sized hole and put a dowel in it. It should be on the opposite side with animals in it. Especially horses. They always seem to "learn" how things work and manage to get out. :D:D

Wedge
You know how animals outsmart Ya?
They let U think they are dumb animals.

/ Removable Rails - ? Run in Shed's and Fences #8  
I'm wondering if joist hangers would work for your application. Wouldn't be as cheap as scrap blocks of wood but would be more durable.

I'm wondering if joist hangers would work for your application. Wouldn't be as cheap as scrap blocks of wood but would be more durable.

Shane, that was my initial idea too, the boss (Wife) nixed it as they tend to be too sharp and can cut the horses....i see her point.

I'm going to Drill the hangers i have up already and insert a dowel...i like that idea..

So... now the one Mare cant slide the rails out any more, Instead she's resorted to backing up against the rails and pushing with her rear end to rip the hangers off !

Gonna have to Lag Screw them on now...