removal of pto shaft..

/ removal of pto shaft.. #1  

gravelman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2650
Hi folks..im trying to remove pto shaft from gear box on Befco 4 ' rotary cutter...took out the bolt but the shaft will only slide so far. No lock rings in the way that i can see. What say you...i must be doing something wrong.. it has never been off...maybe frozen but i grease good...i think there must be a collar or something in the way. thanks

/ removal of pto shaft.. #2  
If it was your shear pin you took out, there should be a snap-ring keeping it from sliding off. Look in the yoke on the end of the shaft for the ring. The ring is there to keep the two connected if you shear the pin.

/ removal of pto shaft..
i will go take a closer look...thanks much

/ removal of pto shaft..
there was no snap ring...i checked and double checked...so out came the crow bar and i popped it off.....sometimes ya just gotta get tough

/ removal of pto shaft.. #5  
Now that you have it apart check the shaft on the mower for a groove near the end. The aforementioned snap ring is a safety which prevents the shaft from coming off if the shear pin snaps.

/ removal of pto shaft.. #6  
Now that you have it apart check the shaft on the mower for a groove near the end. The aforementioned snap ring is a safety which prevents the shaft from coming off if the shear pin snaps.

.....otherwise, it can quickly get pretty exciting.

/ removal of pto shaft..
i see the groove on the end of the shaft coming out of the gear box, there was NO snap ring on it... i have no idea how it could have disappeared as i have never had the pto shaft off the mower end .. i will get a new one and put it one when i reassemble.. thanks for you advice, communication