remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence
Theres no power near the fence. When I told my dad I was taking out the chain link fence and replacing it with logs he said "sounds like you have too much time on your hands". Can't argue that but I also have too much perfectly straight logs on my hands. A gramma's house should look quaint, not like a parking lot. Will post pics when done. Hopefully soon!

I don't know what to do about the gate yet. I also gotta get thru that rhododendron bush without cutting any flowers off of course. Hmmm.

Need ideas for post caps. Normally this type of fence has no post caps, but I want an easy way to hide the pipe inside and prevent it from filling with water.

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #12  
What about cutting it off flush with the top of the logs and placing a rock or flagstone on top of it. I've seen that before and liked it

Hmm. Epoxy a rock ontop, that might work. Yes I've seen rocks sitting ontop of posts before, I suppose just to keep the post dry(er).

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #14  
Why not stick the cut outs into the holes, might have to shave them but then just hammer it in

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #15  
Let me see if I have this right: You are leaving the existing chain link posts in place to support the zigzag fence and just alternating from one side of the post to the other? Your angle of the zig is what, 5 maybe 10 deg? I've never seen one that 'flat'. They are always closer to 90 deg from one section to the next around here. Most don't even have supporting posts, that's the whole point of a zigzag fence, they are self supporting without the use of posts.

I do like your method of concealing the posts but wonder if it would look better if you kept the rails all on the same side of the posts and just wired the rails to them. The it would look like a straight rail fence rather than an almost straight rail fence.

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #16  
There is another rustic fence style that uses two posts at each joint, with the rail ends stacked between, alternating. This would use your steel posts for one of the posts.

fige01.jpg

4432561-Split-rail-fence-with-double-posts-in-winter-Stock-Photo.jpg

Bruce

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #17  
Here are two wooden fences that I built/maintain.

Attachments

• Sommeregg Cabin.jpg
    Sommeregg Cabin.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 317
  • streetview.jpg
    streetview.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 247
I think I'm done.

468343d1463086485-remove-chainlink-fence-replace-zigzag-fence1-jpg

468344d1463086485-remove-chainlink-fence-replace-zigzag-fence1-jpg

Set these ontop of the posts for now. I think I'll use rocks, and epoxy a pipe on the bottom that drops into the post.

468345d1463086485-remove-chainlink-fence-replace-zigzag-fence1-jpg

468346d1463086485-remove-chainlink-fence-replace-zigzag-fence1-jpg

Attachments

• fence1.jpg
    fence1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 852
  • fence2.jpg
    fence2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,535
  • fence3.jpg
    fence3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 733
  • fence4.jpg
    fence4.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 1,415
   / remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #19  
Looks very rustic... will you need to apply a preservative?

The cedar split rails in my picture were treated once in 1970...

/ remove chainlink fence, replace with zigzag rail fence #20  
Congratulations, that's a lot nicer then the cyclone fence!!!