Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related

/ Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
Finally have time to repaint my old post driver. A previous owner welded this large weight to the top of the ram. It makes it rather unstable when attaching to the 3pth. I am thinking I should remove the weight. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• postdriver_weight-1.jpg
    postdriver_weight-1.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 172
  • postdriver_weight-2.jpg
    postdriver_weight-2.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 155
   / Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related #2  
I think it prolly does more good, and might be that it is needed for the driver to do the job. Maybe figure out a way to bolt it on, so it can be added when/after the driver is attached.

/ Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related #3  
I think we need to see an overall picture of the driver. My guess is that it may jump around without that additional weight, unless you have another means of providing down-pressure.

-rus-

/ Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related
Here is a picture of my shaver post driver. The weight is at the top of the driving ram. The ram is powered by a combination of the weight of the ram and two springs. I am sure the extra weight helps. I have no problem driving posts 3 to 4 feet into the ground in the spring and fall when the ground is good and wet.

80432d1183498795-horse-fence-going-up-post-driver.jpg

/ Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related #5  
i wouldnt remove it. its not like its going to be THAT much easyer to hook it up if you removed it, but it may affect how well it drives much more.

/ Remove or Not to Remove - Post Driver Related #6  
Do you store it laying down like it is in the picture? I think I'd be tempted to have a permanent post that I could hang it and chain it to and then that weight might not be an issue.