Remove ROPS for mowing?

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #1  

diverdownrick

I'm buying a BX2350 and have a acre of very flat land to mow. One thing that concerns me is the 6-8 small trees that I have. On my Cub Cadet I can barely duck under them and I'm afraid the ROPS won't make it at all. Understanding completely the need for the ROPS with FEL work, has anyone taken theirs off for mowing? It looks like 3 bolts on each side? Since most of the time I'll be using the MMM I don't think attaching it with the FEL would be that much of a hassle.

/ Remove ROPS for mowing?
I'm buying a BX2350 and have a acre of very flat land to mow. One thing that concerns me is the 6-8 small trees that I have. On my Cub Cadet I can barely duck under them and I'm afraid the ROPS won't make it at all. Understanding completely the need for the ROPS with FEL work, has anyone taken theirs off for mowing? It looks like 3 bolts on each side? Since most of the time I'll be using the MMM I don't think attaching it with the FEL would be that much of a hassle.

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #3  
That's what I did. I too have low trees and it was either catching the lower branches or we were leaving a large circles around the trees that weren't mowed. These tractors are much more stable than any garden or yard tractor so I'm not worried about it since I don't have any large hills either.

It took about 15 minutes to remove roll bar. The wires tuck up in there neatly so you don't have to worry about them hanging down. I had made and attached some plates of the same size as the roll bar attachment plate with light brackets welded to a 6" stub of 2x2x6" tube steel. My intention was to add the lights on these but decided it wasn't worth the time so I left them on the roll bar, which is now in the attic of my barn. I've since mounted a rear facing work light on one of the brackets so I can see the rear blade when I clear snow in the evening or early mornings.

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #4  
That's what I did. I too have low trees and it was either catching the lower branches or we were leaving a large circles around the trees that weren't mowed. These tractors are much more stable than any garden or yard tractor so I'm not worried about it since I don't have any large hills either.

It took about 15 minutes to remove roll bar. The wires tuck up in there neatly so you don't have to worry about them hanging down. I had made and attached some plates of the same size as the roll bar attachment plate with light brackets welded to a 6" stub of 2x2x6" tube steel. My intention was to add the lights on these but decided it wasn't worth the time so I left them on the roll bar, which is now in the attic of my barn. I've since mounted a rear facing work light on one of the brackets so I can see the rear blade when I clear snow in the evening or early mornings.

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #5  
As other TBNers mentionned on this website. If you remove the ROPS your dealer won't work anymore on your machine.

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #6  
As other TBNers mentionned on this website. If you remove the ROPS your dealer won't work anymore on your machine.

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #7  
Hey this is America and you can do what you want to.

Here's my two cents.

You will likely be 100% fine and will never encouter a problem. I can tell you that things with a BX happen FAST, and the one time you install the FEL without "messing" with the ROPS might be the time you have an issue.

I've posted this previously: I was using a chain in ONE of the bucket hooks to move my <1,000# boat trailer across the yard. (This is before I built a hitch for the bucket.) As I backed up and turned, and I had to raise the FEL a lot to allow the jack stand to clear, the rear roller bolts that stuck down about 8" below the frame HOOKED in the grass and stopped the trailer.

When the chain drew tighter, and with my BX turning, all of a sudden my right rear tire was six inches off the ground! Fortunately, I was in 2WD, so the instant the tire left the ground, the differential kicked in and my rearward and TIPPING progress stopped.

It was a RUDE awakening to me, as all of a sudden, I'm tipping and I don't know why. It was QUICK!

Another time, I was moving a HEAVY trailer loaded with concrete a few feet and needed rear ballast, since I didn't have anything on the 3PH. I had my son, a football lineman, set onto the lift arms and hold onto the ROPS while I moved it.

He shifted his weight to one side and the rear of the tractor came up! Sure got my attention!

As I said, you'll likely be fine doing the ROPS removal. But things happen fast. And if anyone else but you runs the BX, they might not be as quick on the controlls as you are.

Me, I wouldn't do it. Just be careful.

Ron

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #8  
Hey this is America and you can do what you want to.

Here's my two cents.

You will likely be 100% fine and will never encouter a problem. I can tell you that things with a BX happen FAST, and the one time you install the FEL without "messing" with the ROPS might be the time you have an issue.

I've posted this previously: I was using a chain in ONE of the bucket hooks to move my <1,000# boat trailer across the yard. (This is before I built a hitch for the bucket.) As I backed up and turned, and I had to raise the FEL a lot to allow the jack stand to clear, the rear roller bolts that stuck down about 8" below the frame HOOKED in the grass and stopped the trailer.

When the chain drew tighter, and with my BX turning, all of a sudden my right rear tire was six inches off the ground! Fortunately, I was in 2WD, so the instant the tire left the ground, the differential kicked in and my rearward and TIPPING progress stopped.

It was a RUDE awakening to me, as all of a sudden, I'm tipping and I don't know why. It was QUICK!

Another time, I was moving a HEAVY trailer loaded with concrete a few feet and needed rear ballast, since I didn't have anything on the 3PH. I had my son, a football lineman, set onto the lift arms and hold onto the ROPS while I moved it.

He shifted his weight to one side and the rear of the tractor came up! Sure got my attention!

As I said, you'll likely be fine doing the ROPS removal. But things happen fast. And if anyone else but you runs the BX, they might not be as quick on the controlls as you are.

Me, I wouldn't do it. Just be careful.

Ron

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #9  
Oh, thought of something else too:

I had an uncle with a large yard to mow. He built a hitch on his JD rider to pull a push type mower to the rear and left side of his JD. To mow around his 20-30 trees, he'd do two rounds around the tree to the left.

Round one, the trailing mower would cut next to the tree while the JD cut a swath farther out.

Round two picked up what the unit missed outside the trailing mower's first pass.

Twice around the tree and he had a 6-7' circle around the tree.

Easily, you could make a trailing mower to attach to your 3PH and do the same thing.

It would be faster than mounting/remounting the FEL too.

Hope this helps.
ron

/ Remove ROPS for mowing? #10  
Oh, thought of something else too:

I had an uncle with a large yard to mow. He built a hitch on his JD rider to pull a push type mower to the rear and left side of his JD. To mow around his 20-30 trees, he'd do two rounds around the tree to the left.

Round one, the trailing mower would cut next to the tree while the JD cut a swath farther out.

Round two picked up what the unit missed outside the trailing mower's first pass.

Twice around the tree and he had a 6-7' circle around the tree.

Easily, you could make a trailing mower to attach to your 3PH and do the same thing.

It would be faster than mounting/remounting the FEL too.

Hope this helps.
ron