Remove snow drifts - blower or plow?

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow?
Thanks for the info. A blower is less $ than a plow and it sounds like keeping the loader/bucket on with a blower is the way to go.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #12  
I routinely buy used truck plows for $100 or so and weld on attachment plates for tractor FEL use.

Ken

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #13  
I do several long driveways next to fields. I can blade once or twice but then the ditches are filled and I have a deep slot that fills with every little snowfall. A blower with a cutting edge works great and will cut drifts no problem. Our old blower had a skid edge that worked well the first couple of early storms with unfrozen ground but was a pain with riding up after that. Bucket is a waste of time on a long drift. Too much time unless you crave tractor time. I was doing 14 driveways, 3 of them in the 1/2 mile long range and it made for early mornings to get it done before people leave for work. When the blower breaks and I have to use the loader it more than doubles the time needed.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #14  
PandDLong said:
Thanks for the info. A blower is less $ than a plow and it sounds like keeping the loader/bucket on with a blower is the way to go.

What blower have you found that is less than a plow? I find that blower prices are a lot more expensive.

Furu - the prices I have, from a Kubota dealer, are a 64" rear snowblower for $2200, frame attached plow for about $3500, and a FEL mounted plow for more than that (admittedly that's because it needs the third hydraulics for the loader which I don't currently have.

Slowzuki - having never had a snow blower before - what is a cutting edge for a blower? Sounds like a great idea - can I add one if mine is not equipped?

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #17  
P and D, My older Lucknow only has one leg of the angle iron frame that slides along the ground. It's been replaced 2 or 3 times in the blowers life due to wearing paper thin. My newer Normand has a replaceable cutting edge just like a box blade would have, its just in behind the auger and scrapes down very well if you lower the skids so it takes weight. On the down side, its poor in soft ground as its peels up dirt like a 2000 lb box blade would.

There is an option for a hydraulic swung skid that swings down for the blower to ride on in gravel.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #18  
I remember some guy cutting a pipe or a barrel in half to make a poor mans snow bucket. Cheaper than a Light Materials bucket...

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #19  
FEL for sure, sometimes you can get lucky and use a snow fence to make it drift 20 or so yards away from where it usually packs up. Thing is with a snow fence you have to get the advice of an old-timer on the best way to deploy it. It's not as easy as most think...but they do work and are known be be a real labor saver.

PS back when we did blow snow that drifted you always had to make some shovel music to knock down those hardened snow roofs.

/ Remove snow drifts - blower or plow? #20  
A snow fence placed at least 50-75 feet behind your major drifting areas will be the cheapest defense in helping the drift problems. Another thing is, when the wind blows KEEP UP with the drifting by plowing it , don't let it get ahead of you ! A blower will definitely help at times, but a front mounted blade on your loader will help big time when your plowing. If you lack room to put the snow... Get the blower. If you can push it way off the driveway.. get a plow..