Removing a loader from a compact tractor

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #1  

neucam

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L185DT
Hi, I am new to this, what is involved to remove the loader on a compact tractor. It is mid mount and unless I have an overhead lift I don't see how I can back out of this thing. I know I have to install some quick disconnects to the hydraulics. I can possibly use a come-along to the rafters in my garage. Is there any other way.

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #2  
You'll have to supply a little more info than what you have. What brand/year is the tractor and what brand is the loader?

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #4  
Most modern FEL systems that feature quick detach have designed in a means to do it fairly easily.

Hopefully this link http://www.loaders.com/userdocs/products/02_WindowsMedia_-_DSL.wmv will take you to a Westendorf video, which is I think fairly typical.

Problem is, the Kubota L185 listed in neucam's profile isn't exactly a modern CUT. And he mentions the need for QD's in his hydraulic lines. The loader probably will require some kind of overhead to help dismount it.

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #5  
I removed mine solo using a bunch of 2x4s cut as incremental supports, some long galv piping as levers and a jack. Jack one side up an inch, put in 2x4's, jack other side an inch, put in 2x4's, rinse repeat. It took 2 hours, a lot of sweat, a few uh-oh moments and some skinned knuckles, but I got done what I needed.

Its really difficult to adapt one technique to another tractor unless the mount is exactly the same however.

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #6  
Problem is, the Kubota L185 listed in neucam's profile isn't exactly a modern CUT. And he mentions the need for QD's in his hydraulic lines. The loader probably will require some kind of overhead to help dismount it.

Don't know how current (or accurate) the listing is, but Westendorf's web site shows L185 as a supported model. I don't know about other aftermarket mfr's such as Koyker etc. :confused:

My 1978 B7100 (gear) isn't very current either, but Westendorf furnished totally everything including hydraulic QD's as well as the tie in to the tractor's hydraulic system.
I didn't have to make a single trip to the hardware store. Further I was able to install it myself without any hoist or other lifting device. The instructions were pretty clear on how to use the newly installed hydraulic QD's and specialy furnished longer hoses to park alongside the palletized and folded loader arms and "hook-up, stand-up and drive under" using the tractor's hydraulic pressure. :)

Sherweld

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #7  
Don't know how current (or accurate) the listing is, but Westendorf's web site shows L185 as a supported model. I don't know about other aftermarket mfr's such as Koyker etc. :confused:

My 1978 B7100 (gear) isn't very current either, but Westendorf furnished totally everything including hydraulic QD's as well as the tie in to the tractor's hydraulic system.
I didn't have to make a single trip to the hardware store. Further I was able to install it myself without any hoist or other lifting device. The instructions were pretty clear on how to use the newly installed hydraulic QD's and specialy furnished longer hoses to park alongside the palletized and folded loader arms and "hook-up, stand-up and drive under" using the tractor's hydraulic pressure. :)

Sherweld

This isn't a Westendorf ad. This isn't about installing a brand new loader on an older CUT. We don't know what loader he has on that 20+ year old compact. The fact that it doesn't have couplers on the hydraulic hoses is a clue that the loader PROBABLY isn't a quick-tach type loader. As stated, we need to know what he has.

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor #8  
hi neucam,

not sure if it needs to be removed permanently or for one time maintenance. rafters might not be a great idea, i really would not like to read your ceiling collapsed or someone was crushed.

if your desire is to remove and replace the loader on an as needed basis. i can suggest building an over sized sawhorse like stand tall enough to drive under, that would then support the loader allowing you to back away. to reattach, drive in align and make connections, back to work. build a strong enough stand, safety first.

an old heavy duty "Swing Set" comes to mind.
if front weight/length is the issue, try removing the bucket.

anywho, give more info about what you have and want... you'll Get-Ur-Done!

Rhett

/ Removing a loader from a compact tractor
Thanks all, I have some ideas now, Yes it is an L185 and a loader similar to a small Koyker, but was not set up as a quick disconnect loader. I know some quick disconnect models use some sort of leverage system towards the front and the loader hydraulics to facilitate removal and support. Being it is not a quick disconnect model it would only take 6 bolts to remove the loader frame. Maybe I will look at a newer loader and duplicate what they have done to make it quick disconnect. No I would not like my ceiling to collapse, but I am only talking about the back end of the loader weighting 150-200lbs. With a reenforced beam it would not be any more than my weight in the attic.