Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues?

/ Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues? #1  

kbforester

Tractor
International 460 Utility
I have a 2014 Kioti NX4510. The FEL is attached to a Subframe. It's a wicked strong loader, generally I assume it's a good idea to leave on the subframe. The problem is, I'm getting ready to use it for some rugged woods work (skidding), and the subframe eats up a lot of clearance. On the left side in particular. I've gotten it stuck on a stump fairly often. Obviously I could remove the frame and the loader, but then I would lose the use of the FEL mounted Log grapple. I also know a FEL is also handy if you get stuck.

- is the subframe primarily used to spread the horizontal load/stress from pushing?

- would I stress anything out by lifting logs with the log grapple without the sub frame components bolted on? (Vertical loads)

Can post pictures if needed. Thanks!

/ Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues? #2  
Typically, the subframe is there so you don't break the tractor in half when you lift something. But it's your tractor.

/ Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues? #3  
Yes, pictures would be good. I'm curious how the loader can be used without the subframe in place as the loader usually mounts to the subframe.

/ Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues? #4  
If I were to be skidding, I would want the subframe on PLUS some skid plates attached to them. I don't know your model tractor but there's lots of hose and filters that don't have any protection from sticks and branches.

/ Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues? #5  
Do you have a backhoe for your tractor? If so, I’d assume the subframe was an integral component to spread out the forces and prevent you from splitting the tractor in two.
Otherwise I am having problems understanding what subframe you want to remove. I do not know your tractor model.
Pictures would help.

/ Removing a Subframe from a FEL. Issues?
Typically, the subframe is there so you don't break the tractor in half when you lift something. But it's your tractor.
This gets to the heart of what I'm asking. If that's the case, it might answer my question

Yes, pictures would be good. I'm curious how the loader can be used without the subframe in place as the loader usually mounts to the subframe.
Picture attached. The subframe is in parts. The magor attachment point is bolted to the area next to the engine, but then a long horizontal piece is bolted to that piece, and goes to the back axle. I'm wondering if I take off just the horizontal piece

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_110242638.jpg
    IMG_20220902_110242638.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20220902_110322046.jpg
    IMG_20220902_110322046.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20220902_110306262.jpg
    IMG_20220902_110306262.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
If I were to be skidding, I would want the subframe on PLUS some skid plates attached to them. I don't know your model tractor but there's lots of hose and filters that don't have any protection from sticks and branches.
If the frame weren't there, I could do one large skid plate. But I can't argue that having the frame plus multiple plates might be stronger.

Do you have a backhoe for your tractor? If so, I’d assume the subframe was an integral component to spread out the forces and prevent you from splitting the tractor in two.
Otherwise I am having problems understanding what subframe you want to remove. I do not know your tractor model.
Pictures would help.
Sorry for that. You are completely right, other tractors I've worked on it's basically all one piece. This is multiple.

No backhoe

Here is a decent shot. The vertical part that goes up out the top of the photo attaches to the loader arms. The horizontal goes to the back axle. Note the bolts

Attachments

• 16621316791255637624634647847971.jpg
    16621316791255637624634647847971.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95