Rotary Cutter Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter

/ Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter #1  

MarkGrabb

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1759
Hello All

I see a lot of discussion on this topic, but I don’t see a post that addresses this issue.

I have a castle nut with a cotter pin holding my blades on my Rotary Cutter. I am want to remove the blades for sharpening. I got the pin out of the castle nut. I have a large socket for the castle nut on a 1 inch drive. When I turn the nut, the blade bolt just spins. The bolt doesn’t have a section for a wrench like I see on another blade bolts. It seems like I need to grip that circular end of the bolt with something. Is that right? Would a pipe wrench work? What is the best way to do this?

Many thanks,
Mark in Burnt Hills, NY

/ Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter #2  
Hello All

I see a lot of discussion on this topic, but I don稚 see a post that addresses this issue.

I have a castle nut with a cotter pin holding my blades on my Rotary Cutter. I am want to remove the blades for sharpening. I got the pin out of the castle nut. I have a large socket for the castle nut on a 1 inch drive. When I turn the nut, the blade bolt just spins. The bolt doesn稚 have a section for a wrench like I see on another blade bolts. It seems like I need to grip that circular end of the bolt with something. Is that right? Would a pipe wrench work? What is the best way to do this?

Many thanks,
Mark in Burnt Hills, NY

I just sharpen the blades on the machine. I use an angle grinder and am done in less than 10 minutes.

/ Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter #4  
Can you lock the PTO shaft side to keep whole gear assembly from spinning?

Dale

/ Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter #5  
An air gun would probably get it off rather than the pull handle. Other option would be a pipe wrench on the bottom of the bolt or tack weld it with the pull handle on top.

/ Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter #6  
Stillson on the bottom, impact on the top. Breaker bars won't work. You need the impact action to break the nut loose.

/ Removing Blade Bolt on Taylor Pittsburgh Rotary Cutter
An air gun would probably get it off rather than the pull handle. Other option would be a pipe wrench on the bottom of the bolt or tack weld it with the pull handle on top.

Thanks all - and thanks 1010. Pipe wrench on the bottom and a cheater bar on the 1 inch drive breaker bar and socket on the top did it!