Removing Brush

/ Removing Brush #1  

GravelRoads

Tractor
Searching
I need to removed a lot of bitter brush. Some of this stuff is so big it requires a chainsaw. Been doing it manually and it is taking a toll on my 50+ year old self. I have a Kubota L48 but a mower is probably out of the question due to the very rocky terrain. Any suggestions on how I could use the Kubota? I'm willing to get an attachment if there is something that would work.

/ Removing Brush #2  
For cleanup after the brush has been cut, I'd check out some of the grapple threads.

For cutting the brush, I'd suggest looking at a Clearing Saw / Brush Saw. It's like a weed whacker on steroids with bicycle-style handles. One of the optional cutters looks something like a circular saw blade. It's great for cutting woody brush and saplings. Other styles, such as the blade that looks like a giant 3-pointed ninja throwing star work well on grasses and non-woody brush.

/ Removing Brush #3  
I use a Kubota B series with a 4’ medium duty LP cutter and it works on 1-2” saplings where I can take it, but for stuff where it won’t go I’ve used a Stihl FS110 cutter like John describes for many years. I tried the circular saw type blade but not for long. The 3-toothed brush blade cuts far faster for me and I’ve taken out a few miles of stuff with it. It’s actually unbelievable what it will go through quickly, and I’ve taken down pretty sizable stuff like 4” popple & firs with it with a bit of patience. You do want a harness.

I don’t have one but a grapple sounds like a great device to handle brush while seated. I’d get one but the spots where I’d need it these days are either manageable with my bush hog or not good for a tractor (swamps and rock bluffs).
IMG_8633.JPGIMG_8634.JPG

/ Removing Brush #4  
You have any pictures of what you’re trying to remove, with an L48 a racket rake on your bucket might work.

/ Removing Brush #5  
I really want to try one of those brush grubbers/post pullers tractor supply sells but haven't worked up the courage to give one a shot yet, probably ideal for the size of stuff you're talking about (assume 3-4")e

/ Removing Brush #6  

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
   / Removing Brush #7  
This spring I noticed I could no longer see into my woods. A wall of green was filling in everywhere - #$#@ buckthorn.

I've been pulling buckthorn with a chain and a brush grubber, and this brush grubber. I've pulled 6" plus out.

View attachment 570122

My little L2900 has to be weighted down and some are easier than others. I'm happy with both of these - the chain grubber will pull over the top of small saplings many times. I've found a 20 foot 3/8" chain with a clevis slip hook around the small saplings won't slip over the top as often sometimes I can pull up 5 or 6 at a time. I place the chain at about 2' level for leverage.

I've also watched/read about using a wheel rim (thanks Jeff9366) to provide an "uplifting" experience for the tree rather than trying to pull it directly. I'm going to try this for the larger ones.

Bummer is you have to get off the tractor each time you pull one. Much better with a helper.

I'm waiting on delivery of my front end loader so I can get a ratchet rake to rip up the hundreds of thousands of sprouting buckthorn. What a nightmare. Until then a brush hog is helping me express my feelings for buckthorn.

Last edited:
   / Removing Brush #8  
The Scotch pine in my old tree farm were dying out and I was being invaded by Buckthorn and Pokeweed. I had a tree service remove and chip about 1800 trees that had about 8-10 inch trunks on them, then, they ran this Hydro-ax over the ground that ground off all the stumps and buckthorn. I can now turn the area into a native grass area...with time.
tree guys last day-chipping 010_1.JPG

/ Removing Brush #9  
I was shocked at how fast buckthorn propagates. Now as I drive down the road I see it everywhere. I'd love to have a couple hundred horse machine with a hydro axe for a week or two :)

All these invasive species... have we learned our lesson yet? Eurasian water milfoil is ruining all our lakes and soon the zebra mussels will be choking out even more. :( I find it hard to believe with all the gene splicing and dna manipulation we can't somehow target these invaders.

/ Removing Brush
Great discussion, thanks!

I tried an FS560 but I can't handle it for long.

This is the stuff I need to remove.

Purshia tridentata

It is dry, woody, surprisingly flexible, and the trunks are strong. Some of mine have trunks that are thick enough that I need to use my chainsaw.