Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK!

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #31  
I've seen this done with a wide mouth propane torch

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #32  
Using a scaping blade on a sawsall

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #33  
OK, I don't know if this trick will work on tile that's only been down for 10 years but it might be worth a try. Instead of heat use cold. I removed very old tiles from a concrete floor with a chunk of dry ice. I tried the chipper, scraper route but it was painfully slow. I went out and bought five or ten pounds of dry ice and placed it on the individual tiles. The temperature difference and the speed of the temperature change popped the tiles loose from the floor. Still had to scrape the adhesive somewhat to get back to a smooth surface. I don't remember who gave me the trick, it might have been one of the tradesmen on the job site. Good luck.

SimS

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #34  
. I don't remember who gave me the trick, it might have been one of the tradesmen on the job site. Good luck.

SimS

Probably someone who accidentally set dry ice on a tile floor :D. Good tip!

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #35  
The hard vinyl 12" square tiles that were installed over our concrete basement floor now need to be removed for new flooring. Whatever glue was used is proving to be quite a challenge. Best I can do with a hammer & pry bar is to chip off pretty small pieces with each whack-- with quite a bit of effort at that. Using a heat gun helps a lot but that's pretty time consuming-- having to hold the heat in place and work it over each tile for quite some time to soften them up.

I don't expect there's any "trick" to making what looks like a long, arduous job much easier but perhaps someone has found a better way to remove this old flooring?

I admittedly haven't read all of this thread, but will post this anyway; sorry if it's a duplicate. During my tenure with the state DEQ, we were charged with regulating asbestos removal. It comes to mind that manufacturers used to incorporate asbestos in vinyl floor tiles, and when they harden with age, they will create a dust during removal that contains asbestos fibers. I don't believe they have used asbestos for many years, but thought you ought to be apprised of the possibility, in case you want to take appropriate measures, particularly if the tile is very old.

How to identify asbestos floor tiles or asbestos-containing sheet flooring - Asbestos Visual Identification in buildings: How to find recognize, and identify asbestos or asbestos-containing materials in buildings by visual inspection methods - text about and photos of asbestos containing building products

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #36  
   / Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK! #37  
Sorry, looks like I'm going to be THAT guy. Can't you just leave it there and put the new material over the tiles? Tile isn't very think, so it can't be a basement height issue, and it's pretty much water proof. Can't be a weight problem either on concrete... Just throwing stupid ideas around. Sometimes the lazy way isn't all that bad, all things considered :p

/ Removing floor tiles is HARD WORK!
... my vote is ... rent. :2cents:

Well those suggesting rent were spot on! After trying just about everything we rented an Edco stripper from a local outfit. Brand new-- unused. Wow. They didn't just fly off but with a little effort it did a great job. Had to start at an angle (as suggested) using the corner on some of the tougher ones but what shaping up to be a day long project only took a bit over one hour.