removing furrows

/ removing furrows #11  
Reg said:
Right, a disc harrow would be easiest/quickest, but that is another purchase.

The tiller could/should work EVENTUALLY if you keep at it and stay on the crests, staying ONLY on the crests. Your choice, buy stuff or spend more time playing with what you already have. Maybe its budget driven, whichever you have more of, time or money (-:

You're right REG it's another purchase but don't forget, he just "great deals" on the purchase of the land and tractor so he still have lot of money in his pocket...
;) ;)

/ removing furrows #13  
firefighter9208 said:
Use a turning plow to remove the furrows. Turn all the land, disk, drag, sow, drag. Drink a cold one.

Chris

Afternoon Chris,
I gotta do all of that before I get to have a cold one ? :confused: ;) :)

/ removing furrows #14  
9208: best get some cold ones!:D Ploughing may be complicated so get ready!:D :D

Dead furrows just seem to happen!:D

/ removing furrows #15  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Chris,
I gotta do all of that before I get to have a cold one ? :confused: ;) :)

Unless you have a cup holder on the tractor, then you could have a cold one while you do it. Just don't get on the road with the tractor afterward. :eek:

Chris

/ removing furrows #16  
I am going through this exact thing right now. The Disc, while a great idea did not give me the desired results. It did not cut up the sod enough to give me a smooth surface. The turning plow was the trick. Mine is a single bottom. It seams to bring the soil to the surface and push the sod down. I then disk it a few passes. Followed by dragging with a chain link drag (I do not have an I beam). I am doing mine in about 1/2 acre sections because of time, and it is coming out really well. The stuff I did last year looks great this year. I have no problems with the old high spots not growing grass but I also have pretty deep top soil. Good luck!