Removing Moss

/ Removing Moss #1  

Garandman

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 HST
We have a good sized patch of moss in our back yard: probably 75 x 35'. The home inspector said it's because there's a spring underneath and it's too wet for grass to grow.

But I'm wondering if I dug it out and planted grass seed there, would the grass take over? This summer has been really try but we could water the grass to get it started.

/ Removing Moss #2  
We have a good sized patch of moss in our back yard: probably 75 x 35'. The home inspector said it's because there's a spring underneath and it's too wet for grass to grow.

But I'm wondering if I dug it out and planted grass seed there, would the grass take over? This summer has been really try but we could water the grass to get it started.

Is there any sun? Moss doesn't usually grow in the sun but grass needs it.

/ Removing Moss #3  
Sounds like a good stop to dig a pond. :thumbsup:

/ Removing Moss #4  
I have moss in my backyard , there is no spring . My neighbor has moss on her roof , I doubt there is a spring there . I think the home inspector doesnt have a clue .

/ Removing Moss #5  
We have quite a bit of moss in our trees - but then, that is Spanish Moss

We also have some Deer Moss under the pine trees - we have a small pine area/forest

However, we do NOT have any springs.

Like was already mentioned, if you want to grow grass in that area, it needs sunshine.

There are some shade tolerant grasses and even some that like wet soil.

/ Removing Moss #6  
Moss grows in shade and acidic soil. Get rid of shade, add lime to your soil, and no more moss.

/ Removing Moss #8  

Here's a link to a pretty good article about moss and grass.
Why Does Moss Grow In Areas Of My Lawn And Not My Grass? (212)

When I was a kid, we lived in the woods. We had moss in most places, not grass. We liked it that way as kids, because dad never made us go out and mow the moss on Saturday! :D

/ Removing Moss #9  
I have moss growing on my garage roof. The roof is shaded most of the day by a very large pine. Garage has the standard shingled roof. Every year I have to get up there with a shovel and scrape it off (Sorry Moss).

/ Removing Moss #10  
Try "Ironite" granules. Worked in our yard in ATL.