Removing Nuts!!!!

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #21  
The problem with using a Stillson is the serrated jaws will chew the nut up. I guess if you were going to put on a new nut, that would be okay.

I have done that too. I have a Ridgid, 4 foot long model. Problem is it's cast steel and not the steel/aluminum hybrid so it's very heavy.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #22  
I went through this the first time I tried to get my blades off for sharpening. I bought new and even with a 4 foot cheater bar I couldn't budge it. (At the time I didn't have a torch myslef). I used an on site heavy equipment repair guy who put a torch to the nut, heated it up really hot and finally was able to break them free. Turned out when the putz at Bushhog put them on, probably using some 900ft lb air wrench, he overtightened so much he stripped the threads off!! I bought new bolts and put them back on a little more reasonablly. They have such a heavy duty lock washer anyway I don't see them coming loose. Just a thought if any of you think it's just rust. In my case I could have used gallons of penetrating oil and PB blaster and it wouldn't have made a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #23  
What can I say daryl..... your a talented guy.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If that were me I think it would have been pop tarts for a month......
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Fred

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #24  
I was in a Sears store in Los Angeles once, looking for some tools. An old guy pulled a 3/8 drive ratchet out of a bin and gave it a spin. The ratchet was broken and just spun in either direction. About that time an employee asked him if he could be of any help. The old man held up the broken ratchet and said look at this. The employee took it, and handed the customer another. "We stand behind these tools, no matter what", he said. The old guy left with a free, unbroken ratchet. I guess he was retired, and didn't need to shave in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #25  
I had to rebuild a swing cylinder on my hoe and it has 12 large bolts that hold on the pivots.
I had to keep going to longer pipes on my Craftsman 3/4 breaker bar until I broke it then 3/4 slider bar bent.
Next was a Sparta 3/4 ratchet that broke w/ 10' pipe and 2 people pulling, it broke.
Last resort 3/4 Craftsman ratchet and 12' pipe bent some w/ 2 people pulling and the bolts broke loose.
As soon as they broke loose u could take out by hand, just had LOTS of torque on them.
We couldn't believe the Craftsman ratchet was the strongest.
Now I have 1" stuff to do the other side, the bolts were metric too.
One problem was I couldn't get the 3/4" or 1" impact into them or it could have been easier.
Everything that broke was replaced by warranty.
If u think Craftsman 3/4 drive is hi $$, buy mac or snap on.
I had a guy I work w/ that had a brush cutter and couldn't get the bolts loose.
He brought it up and we used the 3/4 impact and took the blades off and also tightened the stump jumper up, it was loose.
The 3/4" impact will do most of them but once in a while I have to get the 1" out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
BTW w/ the 3/4" and larger impacts run 1/2" air hose and fittings or it will not have full power.

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #26  
O.K...I've finally gotta post something here.

Will you guys finally stop responding to this thread?!? The title of it really gets to me. You see...we had our fourth child back on July 3rd (the second boy) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Anyway, although I wouldn't mind another one or two rugrats running around, my wife definitely has other intentions and keeps mentioning something about making an appointment. I used to come to TBN as a bit of a "safe haven" and "respite" from her /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...now everytime I see this thread I get a cold shiver through my spine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you stop posting replies it'll eventually move off the first page. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry... I just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

~Rick

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #27  
Rick if that's the case, then what do these words do to you..???

SNIP
CLIP
CAUTERIZE

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #28  
Rick:

The doctor dosen't remove them, the doctor cuts the part that carries the good stuff along so to speak. One thing about it, if you decide later that you want your flow restored , you can get it reversed too. Sort of like replacing the nut that you used a pipe wrench on with a new one. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #29  
Impact wrench is the answer. Although I Have a dilema with my NH MMM right now where the top nut is spinning when the bottom one isn't. Tough situation but will get it for sure next time. This time I sharpened in on the deck - never removed it.

Now about the previous threads...

Titanium - the hardest metal known to man.

When you get the snip now a days - they do the stuff in the previous post AND crimp Titanium clips over the ends of the good stuff hoses. The automatic repair sequence is not a desireable thing when you are trying to stop the reconnection.

They show up in x-rays like two bright white pins.

Maybe the next thread could be called Titanium Nuts - "Nuts That Are the Hardest Known to Man" hahahahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Removing Nuts!!!! #30  
are u suggesting that he does the job himself? with an impact wrench? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif have the Dr. do it rickj /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif