Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Had the misfortune of blowing a transmission oil return line down onto a customers driveway. Immediately Did the usual dose of kitty litter/absorbent.
This is no puddle. It’s a 100-150 foot long puddle.
Kitty litter did a decent job on what oil was laying on the surface, but now I still have the stain. I have been given a few different suggestions on remediation.

1. Wait until it dries and seal driveway. Issue with that is the driveway is 1000’ long. Might look odd to seal only 100-150’ of it. Whole driveway would be very expensive

2. Power-wash driveway with a Dawn & water mixture. Still pondering this solution.

Anyone else had luck with a very large stain like this?

1701726544193.jpeg

1701726575915.jpeg

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #2  
Power washing with dawn is better than nothing but I’ve tried that before and the stain is still pretty visible after doing that. It’s probably still where I would start and see what is needed after that.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #3  
Sealing it would be your best bet, I doubt you will get the stain out any other way.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #4  
I use a product called Pull it Out on oil or hydraulic stains on my blacktop but that is a huge area to paint this stuff on.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #6  
I've tried Simple Green, Dawn, Oxy Clean. Nothing worked. And I was only trying to lift up oil spots, feeling for ya...

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #7  
Oil the whole thing to match. Works on chip and seal pavement. Might want to use a cheaper oil 🍻

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
I heard fresh oil stains much easier than established stains

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #9  
Issue is the oil attacks the Asphaltic Cement in the asphalt, ie the binder. You might try a weed burner to burn off the spill; but diesel, and hydralic fluid are he'll on asphalt. The picture is from a fuel spill, about 40-80 gallons on a roadway, and I could easily stick a screw driver through the asphalt, down to the base rock, with maybe 20 lbs of force. The whole affected area is gonna have to be milled out and repaved.
2023-09-14-12-41-06.jpg

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #10  
Have you tried GOO GONE? suppose to remove stains etc.
Wife used this product so can't say anything about it but she
said it works!

I used BASIC H I know this works but its expensive! When I
changed oil in our car and truck I put the pan of use oil in our
front yard and got the hose and a quart of basic H slowly poured
the basic H in the pan and sprayed it with water when the oil disappeared
you could run your hand over the ground where I just emptied the
drain o;il and you hand would be clean as you could not get any
oil on your hand as the basic H dissolved it

willy

Last edited: