Removing Rust

/ Removing Rust #21  
MossRoad what amperage did you set the welder. Never mind I just realized my old buzz box is AC only. I'm assuming it would need to be DC. So IF I were using a DC welder do you set it for the lowest amperage?

Yes, I set it on DC and cranked it all the way down, as I recall. I didn't think my battery charger was up to it based on the size of the piece.

/ Removing Rust #22  
I agree it works great. Here is before/after of old Alice Chalmers seed hopper

image-2905826733.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Removing Rust #23  
I'm enjoying this thread very interesting. Stuff I see on Yogitube is sometimes hard to believe at least here on TBN I find creditable information. Thanks tmajor for starting this thread, and thanks everyone for offering up your experience on the subject. I don't have any info to offer but I'm enjoying the ride just the same.

/ Removing Rust #24  
I used this method on my tractor not long after I bought it, to clean a rusty 16 gallon diesel fuel tank. The rust had plugged the entire fuel system and shut the tractor down. I used a very old battery charger on the lowest amperage setting and let it cook for about 24 hours. I rinsed the heck out of it, dried it and put it back in the tractor with new filters and cleaned out the lift pump, etc. That did the trick.