Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle..

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #1  

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
I just purchased two older firearms that have surface rust.. I'm thinking a copper sponge and oil will remove the rust. Anyone else have a better idea?

1960's Western Auto 107A 22mag (Mossberg made), it's a nail driver.
1973 Winchester 37A 410 made in Ontario, beautiful wood and receiver scrolling.

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #2  
I don’t know if this is actually better but I would let the metal surfaces soak for a day in Kroil ( or something similar ) and then lightly go over with scotch brite
(p/n 7445 the white pad which is equivalent to 0000 steel wool). There are several grades of scotch brite; only use “white” on fine finishes.

Last edited:
   / Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #3  
I use fluid film alot anymore, i have a couple tools that rust easily, i have started rubbing them down years ago with this stuff, and the rust has pretty much stopped.its also a decent lubricant. i would soak a pad and rub it down with this., there is no solvents so it should not cause damage. but always try it in a small spot, be aware if the rust is bad enough you will have pitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Lubricant-Corrosion-Inhibitor-11-75/dp/B00PWZ0XNM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=fluid+film&qid=1565274415&s=gateway&sr=8-5&linkCode=ll1&tag=littlebill-20&linkId=03515761b1e2ef6c9b754248eee0a5f4&language=en_US

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #4  
Use fine steel wool and either: PBlaster, Kroil, Rem Oil, or best Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly Sheath). Use that last one for storage. It's really quite the same as a developer we use after cold-bluing, such as DuraCoat Post Treatment Solution. Scotch Brite will scratch chrome (silicon carbide grit :eek:) We 'card' between applications of cold blue after rinsing with steel wool each time. Use what won't scratch what's left of original bluing. ;)

I bought a Marlin 336 that looked like it lost a pillow fight with a burlap sack full of cinnamon. I've got pics of before & after, but they're on a chip & I should upload. (Will sooner on request.) Didn't have to touch up bluing just smooth & seal the surface. Mistakes can be made when experimenting. We've eliminated that for you, why you asked, right?

It doesn't need reblued, just cleaned up. KISS ;) t o g

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #5  
For a working gun of lesser value this is o.k.but most older guns loose value if you do this.I have restored an older gun this way and understood what I had done to the "collector" value.

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle..
So I went ahead and used the copper sponge and rem oil, it took most of the rust off, then I took a copper brush to the scrolling and got most of it nice and clean, I was very careful, looks decent.. I have some ot 4 but I was afraid of scratching.. Oiled everything up, looks good..

Attachments

• 37A.jpg
    37A.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 126
   / Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #8  
Vinegar would work or phosphoric acid. Or one of the commercial rust removers like Naval Jelly that also neutralize the inter granular rust one cannot see.

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #9  
Uh, both vinegar and phosphoric acid will remove bluing, the Phosphoric acid almost instantly. :eek: It's an ingredient we use to remove rust and bluing before a complete re-do. Blueing is a stain-like residue from an etching process. Acids in general will etch that away more quickly that we can restore it. (I use three brands of cold blue, but results are consistent.)

I concur with everything said in the linked Brownell's video. (fine steel wool and oil, don't overdo it, .. I could have spoke up for that sooner. ;))

btw, Lemi Shine will brighten brass if 1/2 - 1 tsp is added to a 'wet' tumbling process (Thumler & SS pins, etc). Do NOT use it in U-S cleaners to degrease small parts that you don't plan to re-blue. DAMHIK (It's citric acid!)

All that said, IMO everybody should ruin a few guns by trial and error. Learn by doing. You never know when it's your turn. :2cents:

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #10  
Had to do this years ago with a shotgun, and used fine steel wool and a variety of oils. The barrel had a brushed finish that was circular, around the barrel, so I was careful to do my rubbing that way too. After that I re-blued it. Came out looking beautiful. To think I was only about 17 at the time and probably didn't even know what I was doing.