Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #21  
I ripped out about 150-200 SF of invasive multiflora rose last weekend in about 15 minutes on an L3800 with a grapple.

That stuff is nasty! We've got that all through the woods at our place. I hate it with a passion!

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions
Where in Texas are you located?
I couldn't really tell in the picture, but the trees look a bit like mesquite.
If you're dealing with mesquite, you really need to research how to get rid of them. They are not like normal trees.

I'm located in the Wichita Falls area. There are a LOT of mesquite trees in this area, but strangely enough there aren't many on this property. The trees in question are not mesquite (which I am very familiar with), but without seeing any leaves yet I have not been able to determine what they are.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #23  
That stuff is nasty! We've got that all through the woods at our place. I hate it with a passion!

Same here. We just bought this place in September and the multiflora rose and wild grape vines are everywhere. The multiflora is super easy to tear out though as long as I can get a good bite on the roots with the grapple. MUCH easier than going at it with a weed-wacker.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #24  
Same here. We just bought this place in September and the multiflora rose and wild grape vines are everywhere. The multiflora is super easy to tear out though as long as I can get a good bite on the roots with the grapple. MUCH easier than going at it with a weed-wacker.

I've been brushhogging it as I don't have any real way to rip it out. The hog tears it up pretty well, but does leave the stumps.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #26  
If those are honey locusts, you'll need a lot of tire plugs.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #27  
I don't know what type of growth that is, but I bush hogged 8' thorny stuff. Once it was down, I just went over it 2-3 times a year. Everything came back to grass. Like it was never there.

/ Removing thorn bushes - looking for suggestions #28  
If those are honey locusts, you'll need a lot of tire plugs.

We had a fair amount of honey locust where I grew up in South Dakota. IIRC - mostly smooth bark on the trees. The trees in the pics did not look like honey locust - IMO. And, yes those thorns would poke holes in every tire I ever saw - except the heaviest construction loaders, road graders and belly scrapers.

Really nasty! Sometimes, there'd be this big ol' ball of 'em in the crooks between the branches and limbs! :eek:

AKfish

Based on pictures I have seen I don't think it is honey locust.

Doesn't look like any TSC in my area carries the ratchet rake. I guess I may have to order it online and pay the shipping.

This Tooth Bar Piranha by BXpanded

Is there any video available showing how the Piranha does with clearing brush? It looks like a good product, but it would be really nice to see a demonstration.