Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #11  
That's ridiculous, my local Taylor Rental will caution you if they feel you don't have enough truck but you sign a rental agreement that clearly states your liable for confirming you meet all requirements for towing that trailer, mini-ex, etc...
The mini-ex I used to rent is a 7,200lb Yanmar Vio27 on an 1,800 lb dual axle 16ft trailer with surge brakes. With my 03 RAM 1500 I was actually about 500lbs over the tow limit.

Same in this area. They would not let you off the lot if you were way overloaded but within reason you are good to go.

Chris

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #12  
Same in this area. They would not let you off the lot if you were way overloaded but within reason you are good to go.

Chris

If someone gets killed by said to vehicle due to negligence both the tow vehicle driver and the renter will be sued by the victims family. You can guarantee that. Them said company will be out of business. It's good business to cover your butt to the extreme in today's world. Smart for the companies policy in my opinion.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing.
Just looked up the tow capacity of a new Silverado 1500 at the GMC website...

With the available MAX Trailering Pack, Extended Cab models can tow 10,700 lbs

Chevy Silverado 1500 | Pickup Truck | Chevrolet

Seems a flat 3/4 ton or better is arbitrary and capricious... (always wanted to say that)

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #14  
Do the guys that require 3/4 ton trucks also rent them? Sounds like it might be just another way to drum up truck rental business.

Yes they do and the first yard... the independent that I have patronized for decades has a fleet of trucks from pick-ups to large dumps and cube vans.

Renting a truck, trailer, walk behind trencher for 4 hours with insurance waiver came around $150

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #17  
I have a one ton ford diesel truck crew cab, long wheel base,, When I rent a piece of equipment,, which I do a couple times a years,, I have them to deliever it which they will for 49 dollars one ways,, and 49 dollars the other way.. call them tell them what I want,, a time and place,, I show up in my truck and go to work,, call them when I am complete.. no tie down, no haul back, no pick up.. no road traffic that the good part.. Lou

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #18  
In my state, you need a medical card if you tow any trailer rated over 5 ton

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #19  
I rent a 7500 lb excavator from our local sunbelt store a few times a year for local jobs. My biggest trailer is a tandem with only 3500 lb axles so I don't want to press my luck with mine. They rent me their 12000 lb trailer for just $25 extra. No brainer right? Well this trailer has surge brakes and no place to install a weight distribution hitch the way the tongue is designed. Even with a 3/4 ton truck, this is not acceptable.

/ Rental Yards here now require 3/4 ton truck or better when towing. #20  
I think its ridiculous not to check the upper limit of the tow vehicle. My new F150 is certified to tow a very heavy trailer. About 13000 lbs as I recall. But, the reason they want it to be a truck and not an SUV is due to the short wheelbase. SUV's tend to fishtail and jackknife when towing a heavy load, whereas, the long wheel based vehicles are much harder to get to fishtail. That is a fact you cant get around. Vehicle weight is another factor. Full sized pickup is at least 5000 lbs or so. They have a weight percentile that limits the weight a vehicle can pull. Its in the motor vehicle laws about trailer towing. The big chain companies, tend to have one simple rule to fit all. They dont allow for individual cases. ITs like GEICO not insuring Mustangs years ago. Mustangs were black listed and they didnt care if you were a 70 year old lady and the mustang had a 4 cylinder engine. If it was a mustang, they would not insure it. Why? They told me it was because the type who bought them (teenagers) had too many wrecks and it was easier just to blacklist all Mustangs than argue who drives how. I guess if they didnt ban all mustangs it would come under some type of prejudicial treatment. In other words, cant ban teenagers, but banning one brand of car was ok. Got to love lawyers! by the way< anything with a turbo was also blacklisted back then. They didnt sell 4 cylinder roller skates with turbos like they do now:laughing: