Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #1  

CharlesPNW

Tractor
Researching...
I have been researching my first tractor purchase at TBN a few months. I also have spent the last few weeks going to dealers, some 90 miles away, driving different tractors to get a feel for what I like and dislike. Since the list of work keeps getting longer on the 7 acre I recently moved to, and I did not want to rush into such a big purchase decision, I decided to rent a tractor for a few days to get some real seat time without a big commitment. FYI - I rented a JD3320 with 300CX FEL and 448 BH from my local True Value Hardware.

Man, what a blast! One of my big hobbies is landscaping. I like minimizing turf grass, and I like a few larger boulders more than a lot of smaller wall-rock type material for walls, terracing, seating and general aesthetics. At previous property could unload basalt boulders up to 700 lbs out of pickup and slide, roll and tip into position. However, the process was very slow, and I was limited to only a few boulders at a time due to small truck and usually just me, although neighbor did help once with a 1200 lb 3x4 slab I used as a patio landing. With the tractor, I was able to move larger boulders around the property that before I would have just said oh well, too big. The tractor could not lift some of them, but was easily able to push and drag to where I needed them.

With the 4x4 I could go anywhere, but that also meant I could get into lots of trouble. I found my front wheels jammed in between some rocks that I could not always see. I had my wheels turned all the way to one side, but with the angle and load, the rear wheels just pulled straight back, and I thought I was going to break something (I was reminded of the trips to Moab, UT, riding in my friends 4x4 rock climbers, and seeing how easy it was to break axles). I also found myself sitting on one fender to keep from tipping on more than one occasion, and luckily recalled a few posts I read on TBN on how to quickly recover from said endeavor. I have lots of overgrown woodland, lots of hills and even more rocks.

I learned I have more to think about in my eventual tractor purchase than what size HP to get. I recall some of the tractors I had looked at had exposed steering elements. At the time I thought no big deal. Now, after dropping into rocks all the time, I like having everything behind guards and shields. It might quickly narrow my list down a bit, but I like well engineered stuff. I also learned, for my needs, I need heavy not light. The canopy was great for falling stuff not hitting me. I do not like the FEL joystick placed where it blocks my movement around the deck. What else do you recommend taking into consideration that maybe you never thought of and have since learned? Thanks in advance to all that reply

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #2  
For the rough going that you are doing, I would look closely at the undercarriage. What is exposed? Fuel tank? Transmission? Linkages? etc.

Are you sure you want a tractor? Would a skid steer better meet your needs?

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #3  
Welcome to TBN.:D It sounds as if you are getting well prepared before you purchase. The renting sounds like a great idea. Trying different sized tractors would benefit as well. Finding the size that meets your needs is always important.
Good luck on discovering your fun err... needs to do your projects.:D

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #4  
I have rented everything from cars, trucks (big and small) tractors and lots of other equipment to figure out if I like them before purchase. This rent money has saved unknown amounts of money I would have spent on equipment that disappointed me.

Lately I have been trying to figure out what type of dump truck to buy/build and have driven several differant trucks and figured out I don't like auto trans in the med duty trucks, but really like the 7spd with a cummins or 466e from IH and I really want air ride. If I had not used a few different trucks I would have purchase a F550 or something like that and tore it up, waisting $30K.

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #5  
IMO Renting once saved me from making a bad decision. I was set on a particular tractor, but once I rented it for the week, I realized I had the wrong type of machine for my property. It ended up costing me another 10K to get what I needed, but I made that money up immediately with the additional work I got done. I would recommend renting first to any new tractor purchaser.

What part of WA are you in?

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder
I'm in the Vancouver area. See you have the PowerTrac. Seems like a great machine.

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #7  
IMO Renting once saved me from making a bad decision. I was set on a particular tractor, but once I rented it for the week, I realized I had the wrong type of machine for my property. It ended up costing me another 10K to get what I needed, but I made that money up immediately with the additional work I got done. I would recommend renting first to any new tractor purchaser.

What part of WA are you in?
Only thing is every thing for sale isn't for rent.

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #8  
Totally agree with you LBrown. Dans Tractor on 209th only had smaller Kubotas for rent ( B21 if I recall right). I was all set to get something similar, but realized i needed much more HP and much wider stance. Also learned I didn't care much for the kubota forward / reverse controls, but that is nitpicking...

Charles, we are just up the road in Woodland. Up on the hill... If / When we get back up north I would be happy to let you take the PT for a spin...

Also intrigued in your shopping results. Dans I liked a lot, great people, but I am not sure what their world is going to be in the next year when they widen up the road. THe green dealer in that hood was unimpressive, but the machines were nice. I was leaning heavily toward TYM out of McMinville. Brilliant dealer, loved the tractor.. Just didn't work with my slopes.

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder
Charles, we are just up the road in Woodland. Up on the hill... If / When we get back up north I would be happy to let you take the PT for a spin...

Also intrigued in your shopping results. Dans I liked a lot, great people, but I am not sure what their world is going to be in the next year when they widen up the road. THe green dealer in that hood was unimpressive, but the machines were nice. I was leaning heavily toward TYM out of McMinville. Brilliant dealer, loved the tractor.. Just didn't work with my slopes.

I too liked Steve at Valley View in McMinville selling TYM, was the first HST I tested. Tried a used T450SS in the Dalles at Adam's. Also a nice guy, but he is selling out of his garage, so not very confident in that situation.

Went to Moen Machinery in Gresham to look at the Kubota. The Grand L had the features I was beginning to learn I wanted, and they had in stock both the L3240 and L4240 with the GST. The latter had a larger frame than I think I should get, and the price started to get higher than I wanted to pay. The GST was a nice piece of engineering I thought, and since they keep those in stock, the price was lots lower than msrp. I need to go back and try the Grand L in the HST and get a price since it could be deeply discounted as well if they sell that in volume.

Got a quote from the JD people in Gresham like the machine I had rented, but the price was just way too high...

... So far my favorite is the Kioti DK35SE HST. Size and weight seems perfect, HP is good, fit and finish is what I expect, and seems to be engineered very well. Just going to have to wait and see what's the most tractor I can get for my dollar after all the incentives and special financing. Too bad I might have to rush my decision, but it could keep me from dragging my feet.

/ Renting Before Buying and other Points to Ponder #10  
What else do you recommend taking into consideration that maybe you never thought of and have since learned? Thanks in advance to all that reply

If you will have larger 3 pt implements, the extendable lower links are wonderful! They give you 3-4" of adjustment when you are hooking up. Not a big deal with smaller stuff that you can manhandle an inch or so, but if you have 6' brush mowers and 7' box blades, they do not move! The extendable links make hookup a lot more reasonable.

If you are a serious buyer, sometimes dealers will let you try out a demo machine for a couple of days, or will take back a machine if it doesn't work out (the manufacturers have cost reduction programs for such instances.)

This morning, I'm taking back a skid steer that was a free demo machine. I really thought it would be useful, but on the hilly terrain we have here, it's not stable enough. I actually got it stuck in the woods on a trail. :( Fortunately, I was able to pull it out with the excavator but it took a couple of hours.

Ten years ago, I bought a Kubota tractor for mowing. I immediately found out that it was underpowered for my needs. Dealer took it back and I bought a B2710, which has been an excellent mower.

Ken