Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure
As this sticky thread seems the most relevant place to post, here's yet another injector pump failure story (abridged version).

2006 Dk45SC 2200 hours:
Started having starting problems first, occasionally requiring 2-3 turns of the key before fuel would flow. Suspected a relay issue.
A few days ago, after starting just fine numerous times that morning, it suddenly runs away on start up. Fortunately my tractor is a mechanical shuttle shift version so I was able to stall it by putting it into 4H and easing out the clutch while standing on the brakes.
Got on to TBN and reviewed all the relevant threads including this one and found my way to 2881neches tutorial page.

The tutorial is excellent and the procedure was the same for my four cylinder. i went with 180 degree rotation of the gears for now but believe I will be able to source parts if need be. With a spotlessly clean workbench and some patience, this is not a difficult repair for a DIY guy.

The local Kioti dealer quoted me $2020 CAD for a new pump, approx $700 for a rebuild, plus labour and float charges! Thank you to TBN, ritcheyvs and 2881neches for doing such a great job documenting this Kioti issue....total cost$10 for a new manifold gasket!

Good for you. Some think the new production gears are better (less brittle) so I replaced all four when mine failed. I suspect your IP rack was sticking in the zero-fuel position back when you had starting problems and the stop solenoid jarred it lose during the repeated key off-on cycles. The stop solenoid hits the rack smartly, especially if the rack is near the off/zero-fuel position. Eventually a piece of broken gear tooth happened to jam the rack in a high power position. Good move stalling the engine before any real damage. If you decide to replace the gears later, there are several sources in the spreadsheet linked in the sticky post. I should really rewrite the sticky based on what we know now but I'm lazy.

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #22  
I just got some good news from Joel at Conestoga Diesel. In short, Joel reports success repairing a Kioti Doowan injection pump (IP) with broken gear teeth using the standard Zexel parts he has in stock.

By way of background, a number of Kioti owners with 2005-2008 model tractors reported injection pump failures and the cause was usually broken teeth on the gears that control the amount of injected fuel. I got interested because my tractor was identical to the one sherrym was trying to fix which had this problem. Several other owners reported similar failures. For tractors out of warranty, the only fix (according to Kioti) was to replace the entire injection pump, which cost about $1K-$2K just for the parts. On the plus side, an owner with good mechanical skills could do the job himself (herself). Also, some owners were able to buy the same injection pump from Bobcat for slightly less money. Bobcat has since stopped selling re-branded white Kioti tractors and I don't know what the parts situation is with Bobcat now. Some dealers on this list reported getting IPs repaired locally while other members reported that local Diesel shops would not touch their Kioti/Doown IP.

I started tracking Kioti IP failures reported on this website and made the information available to anyone who is interested:
http://kittrellcommunitywatch.dyndns.org/Kioti_IP_Data

I had some prior experience with Diesel engines in cars and boats I have owned and I became aware of Conestoga Diesel through the Mercedes Benz Diesel community. By all reports, Conestoga has an excellent reputation. I contacted Joel Shenk, the shop manager at Conestoga, to see if they can fix the Doowan IPs in our tractors. At that time, Joel said they fix a lot of agricultural IPs, and could probably fix the Doowan IPs but he couldn't say for sure because he couldn't recall ever fixing that specific brand. Now he has. Here's what he said:

"Hi Scott,
I wanted to follow up on this conversation after receiving a Doowan injection pump from a Kioti this week. It had the teeth missing from one of the gears as you've reported seeing. We were able to repair the pump using Zexel parts which were in stock and an exact match. I can now say with confidence that we can indeed repair this problem for you and the other Kioti owners on tractorbynet. Were we to run into a situation where we needed some other hard parts such as plunger and barrel assemblies or delivery valves I would hope to be able to overcome that as well, but haven't made that determination conclusively at this point.

Thanks,
Joel Shenk
Shop Manager
Conestoga Diesel Injection
1321 Byerland Church Road
[Willow Street, PA 17584-9776]
717-806-5561"
[http://conestogadiesel.com/]

So, for the next Kioti owner with a bad injection pump, I'd urge them to give Conestoga try before shelling out big$$$ for a new IP from Kioti.

Hope this helps a Pack member.

Scott
You can see my YouTube video on the Kioti fuel injector pump replacement..KIOTI DK45SE Fuel Injector pump repair/replacement/information. - YouTube

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #24  
I wonder if a used Kubota pump would bolt right in?

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #25  
After reviewing this forum and a few other websites, I finally found the information I needed to repair my Kioti CK25 Fuel Injection Pump. It was the usual issue, the gear teeth were broken and the rack was stuck.

I ordered the parts from Moose Diesel. The 3 gears were less than $100. I would call them first to make sure the parts are in stock. Here's the link:

A big thank you to 2881Neches for the excellent tutorial and photos that has been around for some time now and I'm sure many people have benefitted from.

Here is also a youtube video by tractors&marine MECHANIC that does a very good job of demonstrating how to take a 3 cylinder Zexel (or very similar) injection pump apart and put it back together.

It took about a week to get the parts and I spent about 3 days researching the issue and how to repair it, but it only took about 15 minutes to actually take the pump apart and put it back together with the new gears. Just make sure the rack that turns the gears slides back and forth freely before putting the IP back in the tractor. You might have to take some emory cloth to it like I did and smooth out any scratches or gouges that were made by the broken gear teeth.

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #26  
I have a 2006 CK 30 HST. It looks like this has happened to me. Yesterday the tractor reved up and would not shut down. Had to use the shut off on the fuel filter.

1. Once this has been rebuilt, does it generally fix the problem and prevent it from happening again?
2. Why can't we use the existiing lever that manuall shuts off the tractor?

thanks in advance.

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #27  
If in fact the gear teeth broke and u get all the gears replaced, it’ll solve the problem..
As far as the manual shut off goes, if the gear teeth are broken, they have jammed the control rack.. and if you try to use the manual lever, u will probably do more damage.. like breaking the internal shut off lever..

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #28  
In regards to the manual shut off, I was refering to fixing the pump and then hooking up a manual cable. Will that work, or am I better of fjust replacing he solenoid?

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #29  
My CK30 HST will start & run fine at full throttle or around 2K rpms, after running for about 10 minutes it acts like it's running out of fuel but will keep running but barely. I changed the fuel filter & even hooked it up to an alternate fuel tank thinking the stock one might be plugging up & it still does the same thing. Could this be the problem or would it be something else? The throttle works fine from idle to full fyi.

/ Repair Common Kioti Mechanical Injection Pump Failure #30  
How did u hook up the alt. tank.??
Is it still going thru the filter.??
Does the alt. tank go thru a supply pump.??