Repair Hole in Transmission Case

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #11  
It's too bad it is on the bottom, it would be a good fix to weld (Heli-arc) if you had the right equipment.......

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #12  
If A guy took all the gears out he could have it welded from the inside..or puddle it with JB weld.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #13  
I am guessing taking the gear cluster out would be a whole new can of worms. I never was a transmission guy though. I think the best bet is a flexible magnet and then a inspection mirror to look around. Is that tranny case aluminum? There are plenty of guys on here that can give you advice on cleaning up the hole and prepping it for JB weld. You might be able to bump the starter and spin the gears a little to look for more damage. Or just take and pour diesel or kerosene over the top of the gear cluster to flush down debris through the hole.
Keep us posted

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #14  
Could you shield the gears from the JB weld, duct tape the outside and kinda pool the stuff in from the top? Just putting ideas out there.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #15  
fish out the bolt with the grabber or a magnet on a flexible stick.. piece of wire.. etc.. whatever.. just get it out.

Do inspect the gears. might have to roll engine over depending on where they are.

clean sump out real good.

use an epoxy rated for fuel/oil wet metal, as the cast will be impregnated.. use masking tape and a wad of the epoxy to fill the hole from the bottom and let cure, sand smooth.

I like the idea of using short fine thread bolts and drilling / tappin 4 holes and cutting a plat out of 3/16 or 1/4 and loading it up with rtv and then bolting in place as a backup.

choose short bolts that don't go above the surface of the casting.. washers can be used ont he bottom of the plate to help with height issues. tap the threads and go..

soundguy

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case #16  
Hi i was just making sure as it sounded like you were going to fish it through the hole

If you jack up a back wheel as long as it is in neutral and the diff lock is not engaged then turning the wheel will turn the gears for a closer inspection:thumbsup:

It sure looks like the gear cluster pushes the bolt through the bottom

as long as there are no teeth missing then just file off any burs on the teeth where the bolt hit flush out the case and seal her up

Ps if the hole has a crack leading away from it don't forget to stop drill the end of it with a 3 mm drill

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case
I've had the tractor a couple years and never had a problem other then running out of fuel and having a dickens of a time getting it bled to start again. I had used it to blade our road about a week before this. Then another snow and it happened. I noticed the oil and shut the tractor down. Checked the level and saw that it was in fact the Trans/Hydraulic fluid leaking. The next day I drove into town and picked up 5 gallons. As soon as I started putting it in, it started coming out. I overfilled it and drove the tractor home about 2/10's of a mile. Seemed to run ok. Parked it and it has sat till this last weekend. My plan right now is to see if I can get a thin piece of wood, covered with plastic wrap, over the hole from the inside. The from the underneath, drill some divots into the sides of the hole. The case is Cast by the way. Then use carb cleaner and a metal brush to clean it up. Fill the hole with JB Weld and hold that in place with another piece of wood from underneath. After that sets up, remove the wood and sand the underneath smooth to the surface. Get a 1/8 inch piece of metal about an inch bigger then the hole. sand the case and the metal patch to bare metal, cover both with JB weld and place the patch over the hole. After that sets up. tap screws into the corners. Geez, sounds like a ton of work.

/ Repair Hole in Transmission Case
I got it out with a small magnet. It's a 7/16's bolt about an inch and a quarter long. I'll get a picture on it this weekend. It came out intact other then being beat up. And I can find no damage to the gears.