Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips?

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #601  
KICK said:
Originally Posted by Atlas Whenever attaching or removing a shaft from the PTO shut the engine off and pocket the key.

QUOTE] otherwise you are a potential candidate for a Darwin Award.

Ive never thot to worry about the pto jumping into gear. On most of my tractors the drive gear wouldnt even mesh unless clutched. Larry

I've only owned one tractor that even had a key.:)

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #602  
Security Wand
I found one on EBay and use it to detect metal (nails mainly) in wood before running thru my planer. Works great as it covers about 8" wide compared to usual detector that merely cover 2"

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #604  
This is a long thread so maybe already been mentioned....but.....the 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF is the best thing available for removing rusty bolts...fixing rusty hinges. Mush cheaper than store bought products (WD40) and works so much better. Used it last week on some old crawler bolts that hadn't been touched since the 50's and just used it on an old travel trailer hinge about 5 ft long that was frozen solid for the past 10 years. Spray it on....let her sit for awhile.......works great!:thumbsup:

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #605  
Sometimes we need to know if parts from one model or brand will fit another. I have found that a bit of searching on eBay can quickly provide useful cross-reference information. Often sellers/dealers will list all the models a particular part will fit. (One example that comes to mind is the popular Kubota/Yanmar ball-and-nut steering shaft assembly).

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #606  
When I sweat copper fittings I keep a bucket of water, wet grease rag and a spray bottle of water with me. The spray bottle has put out a few minor joist fires while soldering in place.
After soldering the fitting I spray it to cool it down and then wipe it with the wet rag to clean off any soldering compound left behind. The solder joints look much better.
David B
Plumber friend of mine wears a jersey glove on his left hand while soldering. As soon as he removes the torch he just wipes away the excess solder with the gloved hand.. No need to wait for the solder to cool and it leaves a beautiful finish. I like your suggestion of having water handy but if you have many solders to make the glove method is a time saver.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #607  
Me, too. Properly prepared some of the cheap cuts are very good. But I do occasionally enjoy a ribeye steak. Ribyes were $8.57 a pound yesterday and these sirloin strips look very good, so we'll see.
I have been rereading these posts from page 11 and when I got to a couple of them I wanted to respond. First Bird, would you be happy to pay that for a pound of NY strip steaks today? Last ones I bought were $9.99 per pound.

Another issue I remember reading was a guy said that he never runs his small engine tanks dry. I always try to run my tanks dry on chain saw, weed eaters, and push mowers. MY riding mowers I run as low as possible and double dose with Stabil. I just pushed my old push mower to the shop to work on it. I figured it might need some carb work. It has been setting under my patio deck, kinda out of the rain but blowing rain could get to it. I ran the tank dry in 2009 and it hasn't been touched since. Been setting in the garage for a year in Crosby Texas then under my patio since we moved here in June 2010. I put a bit of 2 cycle gas in it (that was all I had) and had to look for a primer bulb, there wasn't one nor was there a choke or throttle lever. It took 6 pulls on the pull cord to get it to start. Obviously no gaskets were dried out and no gum in the carb since the plastic tank was empty. I also try to let my pressure washer run dry everytime I use it, then unhook the water, drain the hoses and give the motor several pulls to expel any water from the pump. It is 10 years old and will crank on the second pull every time.
I do use Stabil on my gas bulk (6 gal) just to be on the safe side and I think it works well. But for stuff that can be drained and is used maybe once a year, I completely remove the gasoline from it. They come from the factory dry so my thoughts is dry is good.
Now I need to go out to the shop, warm up that mower and change the oil that is almost 4 years old. Planning to use it to collect the leaves and mulch them since it has a bagger. Will use the leaves as mulch in my garden.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #608  
Yeah, don't want to be like a friend whose wife "POSTED" his new credit card on the refrigerator door (you guessed it) with a magnet.

Pat
Came across this one and reminded me of another thing that will ruin a card. The hotel rooms with electronic lock / key card openers for doors will get scrambled if you store them in the shirt pocket with a cell phone. Sure is aggravating to have to go back to the front desk for a new card at night after a hard days work.

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #609  
Plumber friend of mine wears a jersey glove on his left hand while soldering. As soon as he removes the torch he just wipes away the excess solder with the gloved hand.. No need to wait for the solder to cool and it leaves a beautiful finish. I like your suggestion of having water handy but if you have many solders to make the glove method is a time saver.

I use a small ball/wad of steel wool to do the same thing. The molten solder adheres well to the wool so it doesn't drip where you don't want it to!!

- Jay

/ Repair/mechanic tricks and or tips? #610  

I use a small ball/wad of steel wool to do the same thing. The molten solder adheres well to the wool so it doesn't drip where you don't want it to!!

- Jay