repairing cracked plastic

/ repairing cracked plastic #11  
Believe it or not they make plastic welders. The method is similar to tig welding in that you have a heat source and a filler stick. As much as I hate to suggest it, try looking at Harbor Freight.

Plastic Welder

Depending on the type of plastic, you can also try straight MEK. Just dab it on the crack and let it wick itself in. The cracked edges need to be in contact until the MEK evaporates for it to work.

My experience with epoxy on plastic is that it does not stick. However, there may be a formulation specifically for plastic.

/ repairing cracked plastic #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> You will not get a repair that is undetectable like you will when you use the proper repair material and procedure. </font> )</font>

Well, I am speaking from my own experience....I have repaired cracked hoods and fenders on my JD 4000 series and I could not disagree more with what you say (based on my experience)

/ repairing cracked plastic #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> You will not get a repair that is undetectable like you will when you use the proper repair material and procedure. </font> )</font>

Well, I am speaking from my own experience....I have repaired cracked hoods and fenders on my JD 4000 series and I could not disagree more with what you say (based on my experience) )</font> <font color="black"> Please let me say this as politely as I can. I am sure I could find every one of your repairs and I am sure no one could find any of my repairs. </font>

/ repairing cracked plastic #15  
If a guy is looking for a thrifty way to fix a part rather than replace it, I think a good solid repair that can be seen is going to be quite alright. If I break the hood or fender on my 3720, I'd probably replace it due to the value of the machine...

/ repairing cracked plastic #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Please let me say this as politely as I can. I am sure I could find every one of your repairs and I am sure no one could find any of my repairs.
</font> )</font>

Say it however you like...I am not easily intimidated.....you would need a microsocpe to detect any evidence of a repair where I use JB weld to repair plastic. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ repairing cracked plastic #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> Please let me say this as politely as I can. I am sure I could find every one of your repairs and I am sure no one could find any of my repairs.
</font> )</font>

Say it however you like...I am not easily intimidated.....you would need a microsocpe to detect any evidence of a repair where I use JB weld to repair plastic. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )</font> <font color="black"> Yeh, and I can repair a fine piece of china with contact cement so no one could find it. You may need a microscope but I guarantee I would not. No one can fix a crack in plastic with JB Weld well enough that I could not see it with the naked eye. I started in the autobody repair business 30 years ago. My hands and fingers are so sensitive I could find the repair with my eyes closed. Period, end of story. My last post on this subject. </font>

/ repairing cracked plastic #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> No one can fix a crack in plastic with JB Weld well enough that I could not see it with the naked eye. I started in the autobody repair business 30 years ago. My hands and fingers are so sensitive I could find the repair with my eyes closed. </font> )</font>

Ahhhh....yeah......right on all 3......