Replace clam shell fenders for safety?

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #11  
the clammsheel fender should at a minimum, ward the driver side of the tire. if it doesn't.. why is it there? no reason for an undersized clamshell.

as for size. since the manufacturer has NO control over the size of tires installed after sale.. it's up to the OWNER to make sure the fender that have wards the tire... see previous line

my analogy about distance to a tire DOES have bearing on the thread as a post mentioned that if you set closer to a tire due to an offset tractor setup.. that the closer tire may somehow be more dangerous.

if it's covered.. that seems to be a non issue how close or how far you set.

( can't say i've ever seen this much discussion on fenders.. unless it was a collector looking for a period correct one for a tractor... seems like 99% is common sense and application.. seems like way too much talking.. and way not enough hands on experience .... )

back to you for another page of rhetoric. eh?

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #13  
It's not necessary, I'm sure my position is crystal clear to almost everybody.

yes.. it is. hypothetical disaster situations where the manufacturer put teensy weensy clamshells on monster tires.. or where the owner pulled them off and put on smaller than needed ones.

i'm guessing where it's cold and north this must be a common problem? ;)

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #14  
yes.. it is. hypothetical disaster situations where the manufacturer put teensy weensy clamshells on monster tires.. or where the owner pulled them off and put on smaller than needed ones.

i'm guessing where it's cold and north this must be a common problem? ;)
Once again you come up with such relevant arguments to support your contentions. :thumbsup: :laughing:

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #15  
View attachment 315578View attachment 315579View attachment 315580
Once again you come up with such relevant arguments to support your contentions. :thumbsup: :laughing:

ok.. examples...

here we go.

here's my 740 ford.. clamshells. oe tire size would be 12.4-28 on that tractor. I splurged for 13.6-28 1 size large... here they are. spaced out a bit too.

next pics are of a 950 i have. I stripped it's tires off and went with MAMOTH 14.9-28's i have 1 pic showing an old tire onthe left and a new one onthe right.. then a pic with both new ones on.

clamshell STILL covers the tires.. using larger than oe spec tires.

next.. oe clamshells on my ford 4600 I'm installing a rops when this pic was taken.

PLENTY of space on them clamshells. OE tire size involved. OE clamshells too.

next pics are of my 4000 rowcrop. oe tire size.. plenty of fender shwoing. to the left is one of my 850 fords. again.. plenty of fender between you and the tire.

next pic is of a case vac.. with what i consider SMALL clamshells. those are 11.2-28 tires.

next.. is my ford 5000 I installed a rops on it.. then a topper.

factory size tires.. correct rops.. correct fenders.. etc.

PLENTY safe.. I rest my arm on thos fenders whiole mowing all day. there is a paint spot rubbed off where I lean while listening to the diesel purr. I still got all my fingers on that hand.

last pics are of my farmal H and my farmall C NO FENDERS.. for comparison. my JB B looks just as naked.... no pic handy at the moment.

a40016.jpga55503.jpga64138.jpga64388.jpga17364.jpga17832.jpga59693.jpga53402.jpg

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #16  
first 3 pics didn't show for some reason.. you have to click on the links for them.. but there are there at the top of the page.

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #17  
Here's a couple more pics. As I said in my original post, I believe there's just too many factors that enter into it to be able to make a blanket statement one way or the other regarding the safety aspect of clam shell fenders; it would probably be best to make a case by case evaluation.

59farmallcub3.jpg

c40d_013704.jpg

6315d1024578830-1949-farmall-cub-implements-5-162656-p5050130.jpg

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #18  
When I install chains for winter duty I sure wish I had clamshell fenders. My poor knuckles would sure appreciate that extra clearance.
Also there would be less clang clang from the odd loose cross chain until I can get the chains all snugged up.
Guess you can't have it both ways.

/ Replace clam shell fenders for safety? #19  
Here's a couple more pics. As I said in my original post, I believe there's just too many factors that enter into it to be able to make a blanket statement one way or the other regarding the safety aspect of clam shell fenders; it would probably be best to make a case by case evaluation.

they either fit or they don't. if they fit.. they should be as safe as you get with any ag equipment.

if they don't fit.. then you have a problem. kind of like shields on belts.

i also think people today take a nanny-state look at safety. no personal responsibility anymore.

if I'm dangling my arm down the side of the tire and wheel and the luh r hub grabs my shirt and sucks my arm intot hte tire/fender clearance area and I get hurt. it was because I did something stupid.. not because the manufacturer didn't build the fender so the tire was impossible to be touched. that's my view.

there's more careless people and people with no personal responsibility out there than there are people with common sense.

when you get that mix.. you have to have umpteen zillion safety shileds and stickers on yer push lwn mower telling you not to hold it fromt he deck and cut your bushes with it.

that's where i'm coming from.

sure.. case by case basis. like i said. if your clamsheels are a foot tall and your tire pops up 2 feet past it.. NOT a good fit.. and likely WON'T do much to help ya out.. etc...