replace coolant

/ replace coolant #11  
The waterless products, in my brief look at them, do not look after freezing conditions which is the reason most of us use antifreeze.

Since their product is either glycol or a mix of two, they would not prevent freezing.

When you buy un-premixed antifreeze, you are cautioned on their label to mix with water otherwise freezing temps will not be low like happens with a 50-50 mix.

Dave M7040

/ replace coolant #12  
My brother used Evans Coolant in his '09 Freightliner DD15. It was quite expensive, and you had
to use a prep fluid to remove all the water from the previous coolant that was in there. That
engine is huge (15 liters), and took many gallons of coolant.

/ replace coolant #13  
Today 2 gallons of the Evans Waterless Coolant came that I am going to use in the newly rebuilt 1948 Model B Allis Chalmers engine. Since the radiator is new and the water pump is newish and the hoses are steel pipes I want something that is good for the next 30 years without changing it out. In time if all goes well with the AC I am going to get Evans in all my long term keepers. That stuff is heavy. A gallon jug weights 9.8 pounds.

It seems like it is the water in coolant that eats up the systems.

/ replace coolant #14  
It weighs the same as a gallon of water. That痴 good because mass is an important factor in heat transfer capacity.

/ replace coolant #15  
It weighs the same as a gallon of water. Thatç—´ good because mass is an important factor in heat transfer capacity.

Does your water have a very high lead content to weight 1.4 pounds heavier than normal drinking water? :)

/ replace coolant #16  
Haha. My water is well softened, so pretty close to pure water at 8.3lbs per gallon. Excuse my imprecision though, but I would find it difficult to actually discern the difference without a scale. :)

/ replace coolant #17  
Haha. My water is well softened, so pretty close to pure water at 8.3lbs per gallon. Excuse my imprecision though, but I would find it difficult to actually discern the difference without a scale. :)

marchanna .... may have heavier water in Pictou, NS.

I just sold my place in Shelburne, NS, and my water was very heavy.... with Iron.
Just kidding.
I do know that water weighs 8.33 lbs. per US gal.

/ replace coolant #18  
I used to live in Southern Ontario, and the iron in my water was so high, the water looked like gravy coming out of the faucet. Here, I have clear-water iron, but my hardness is at 785ppm. My softener is top-of-the-line though, so what comes out of the faucet is incredibly soft.

At any rate, that coolant being so heavy, will ensure excellent cooling capacity.

/ replace coolant #19  
I have so much iron in my water, I drink it using a fork.

/ replace coolant #20  
marchanna .... may have heavier water in Pictou, NS.

I just sold my place in Shelburne, NS, and my water was very heavy.... with Iron.
Just kidding.
I do know that water weighs 8.33 lbs. per US gal.

Should have sold it to a nuclear plant as "Heavy Water" :p