Replacement drill press recommendations?

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I have a 17" Steel City drill press. I replaced the chuck because the old one was having issues. The new one is having issues staying on as well. At this point the taper on the arbor is rather chewed up & was likely the cause of the original chuck issues. Pulley alignment has always been a bit of an issue I've been fighting. I suspect the spacing on the pullies is different so that one of the 2 belts is always getting side load & chewed up no matter how I shim stuff. Most importantly I hate changing belts, so I'm always running into issues running the wrong spindle speed for the bit I'm using or material I'm drilling. Steel City is also out of business so parts will be a bit of a pain. I may try to clean up the taper with some emery cloth, but I'm tired of fighting it. The belt issues are annoying but I can live with them, at least for now. The chuck falling off every couple holes isn't livable though.

17" has fit most of my needs size wise. I don't know what motor what Steel City has on it, but other than belt & spindle slipping issues it's had enough power. It's a 110v, so has to be under 1.5hp. I use it for some wood stuff, a lot of metal stuff, occasionally hole saws.

20240323_095339.jpg
20240323_095347.jpg

I've more or less decided to replace it. I want something of similar size & with a variable speed drive on it. I'd like to keep it to around $1k, but unless I luck into something used that's only the starting point for my requirements. $2k would really hurt, but is doable.

Grizzly 17" 17" Floor Variable-Speed Drill Press
Has a 2 range belt change, but the rest a variable speed Reeves drive I could probably live with. $1,000

NOVA VOYAGER DVR 18″ VARIABLE SPEED DRILL PRESS NOVA VOYAGER DVR 18" VARIABLE SPEED DRILL PRESS (SKU 58000) - NOVA, a Teknatool Brand. Uses a VFD rather than Reeves drive & has some electronics that will likely be a parts shortage later. I'm an IT guy so I am drawn to fancy electronics, but I'm worried about the gimmick factor on some of this stuff. I've heard a few reports on lacking power for bigger drills. $2k

Finding some Reeves drive 17-20" off Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Currently not much posted, wear may be high & it might be a bit of a project to get running & rebuilt. I have enough projects at the moment, including a 2x72" belt grinder with a VFD, so while I have the skills I don't have the time & energy for a rebuild. Could get a higher quality machine though. $600-2k

3 phase motor swap & VFD a cheaper drill press. Again, another project I don't need & getting torque setup ideally may be a bit of a pain. Likely to be around the price as a Nova all said & done with $500-700+ for a decent starter machine & 400 each for a VFD & motor.

Skip the small stuff entirely & go for a Bridgeport type mill that I've been thinking about for years to get some machining capacity in the shop beyond my lathe. Unclear how convenient a mill can serve as a drill press or what I'd be overlooking. At my price point I may have some work to do on a mill. Would take a long time to source one & move it, but I have gear to move it. Maybe around $4k. Totally blows my drill press budget, but I'm looking for a milling machine at some point anyway. Maybe a new import mill like PM-940V Milling Machine – Precision Matthews Machinery Co. (which would match my PM lathe I'm happy with).

Any suggestions on what general direction to go or any specific models?

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #2  
Going through the same thing. I like the PM-940V Milling Machine – Precision Matthews Machinery Co. it is the its back ordered leave a $xx deposit that has me concerned. Keeping in mind what happened to folks that left money with everything attachments when they crashed has me concerned. I must have gotten one of there last three point grader blades. I have heard good things about them........ so I do not like throwing them under the bus. But, and I have not called precision matthews. It is way over my budget, like you i don't want another project. It is something like the above and a mag drill that should keep me out of trouble for a while.

I have not heard great thinks about grizzly as of late and my current drill press is a grizzly and its, let's say I am not happy with it.

There is this from these guys. They are close and aren't requiring a deposit and our lath came from them.

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #3  
I'd recommend a small used milling machine to use as a drill press, accurate and repeatable, durable.

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #4  
I'm still using my 50 year-old 18" Craftsman floor press that I bought new in 1974. It's showing it's age now and parts are no longer available. The quill is worn but still functions. Yeah, changing belts it a hassle sometimes but, what I really want is a crank for setting the table height. Doing it manually can get difficult.

Last year, I started looking at replacements, including the Grizzly you linked. That one appeared to be the best of the ones I looked at but I can't get over how cheaply all the new ones are made. Lots of plastic, sometimes in places where it will likely fail over time. My old Craftsman is all iron and probably weighs twice what the new ones do.

I'm still looking but for now, I'll stick with what I have until it dies.

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #5  
I have a 17" Steel City drill press. I replaced the chuck because the old one was having issues. The new one is having issues staying on as well. At this point the taper on the arbor is rather chewed up & was likely the cause of the original chuck issues. Pulley alignment has always been a bit of an issue I've been fighting. I suspect the spacing on the pullies is different so that one of the 2 belts is always getting side load & chewed up no matter how I shim stuff. Most importantly I hate changing belts, so I'm always running into issues running the wrong spindle speed for the bit I'm using or material I'm drilling. Steel City is also out of business so parts will be a bit of a pain. I may try to clean up the taper with some emery cloth, but I'm tired of fighting it. The belt issues are annoying but I can live with them, at least for now. The chuck falling off every couple holes isn't livable though.

17" has fit most of my needs size wise. I don't know what motor what Steel City has on it, but other than belt & spindle slipping issues it's had enough power. It's a 110v, so has to be under 1.5hp. I use it for some wood stuff, a lot of metal stuff, occasionally hole saws.

View attachment 858639 View attachment 858640

I've more or less decided to replace it. I want something of similar size & with a variable speed drive on it. I'd like to keep it to around $1k, but unless I luck into something used that's only the starting point for my requirements. $2k would really hurt, but is doable.

Has a 2 range belt change, but the rest a variable speed Reeves drive I could probably live with. $1,000

NOVA VOYAGER DVR 18″ VARIABLE SPEED DRILL PRESS NOVA VOYAGER DVR 18" VARIABLE SPEED DRILL PRESS (SKU 58000) - NOVA, a Teknatool Brand. Uses a VFD rather than Reeves drive & has some electronics that will likely be a parts shortage later. I'm an IT guy so I am drawn to fancy electronics, but I'm worried about the gimmick factor on some of this stuff. I've heard a few reports on lacking power for bigger drills. $2k

Finding some Reeves drive 17-20" off Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Currently not much posted, wear may be high & it might be a bit of a project to get running & rebuilt. I have enough projects at the moment, including a 2x72" belt grinder with a VFD, so while I have the skills I don't have the time & energy for a rebuild. Could get a higher quality machine though. $600-2k

3 phase motor swap & VFD a cheaper drill press. Again, another project I don't need & getting torque setup ideally may be a bit of a pain. Likely to be around the price as a Nova all said & done with $500-700+ for a decent starter machine & 400 each for a VFD & motor.

Skip the small stuff entirely & go for a Bridgeport type mill that I've been thinking about for years to get some machining capacity in the shop beyond my lathe. Unclear how convenient a mill can serve as a drill press or what I'd be overlooking. At my price point I may have some work to do on a mill. Would take a long time to source one & move it, but I have gear to move it. Maybe around $4k. Totally blows my drill press budget, but I'm looking for a milling machine at some point anyway. Maybe a new import mill like PM-940V Milling Machine – Precision Matthews Machinery Co. (which would match my PM lathe I'm happy with).

The taper end that is failing is not the main taper.
maybe Knock out the MT2 or 3 and then source a new one.

if you do decide to replace the press I would definitely not buy a HF 17"
I bought it and was very disappointed to find the main column was only .060 wall thickness.
The main column stand and table support were aluminum and drilling with pressure on steel would deflect the table over a 1/4" downward. I took it back and with help found an older Arboga gear head 3 phase press with power down feed, reversible 2 motor speeds and 4 geared speeds and a column that was 1/2" thick, 800lb for the whole drill press, also had an adjustable height drill head.
I added a VFD, motor is 2 HP and now have variable speed from ~30 RPM to about 1500 RPM.
All in for under $800.
Really glad i did not settle for a new china press.
Unfortunately from checking the weights of a few other new 17" presses, I am not convinced some would be any heavier built than the HF I took back.

Last edited:
   / Replacement drill press recommendations? #6  
Very satisfied with my Nova Voyager. So easy to change speeds and wonderful for tapping.

/ Replacement drill press recommendations?
The taper end that is failing is not the main taper.
maybe Knock out the MT2 or 3 and then source a new one.

if you do decide to replace the press I would definitely not buy a HF 17"
I bought it and was very disappointed to find the main column was only .060 wall thickness.
The main column stand and table support were aluminum and drilling with pressure on steel would deflect the table over a 1/4" downward. I took it back and with help found an older Arboga gear head 3 phase press with power down feed, reversible 2 motor speeds and 4 geared speeds and a column that was 1/2" thick, 800lb for the whole drill press, also had an adjustable height drill head.
I added a VFD, motor is 2 HP and now have variable speed from ~30 RPM to about 1500 RPM.
All in for under $800.
Really glad i did not settle for a new china press.
Unfortunately from checking the weights of a few other new 17" presses, I am not convinced some would be any heavier built than the HF I took back.

Why don't you just rain on the parade. Looks like I won't bet getting a new drill press, lol. Didn't even think about the fact the shank went into another taper that is in good shape. I can deal with the belt alignment issues & swapping belts for now. Will probably keep an eye out for a good deal on a good used variable speed beefy press on the used market in the near term & still shoot for a mill in the longer term.

HF was never an option. Just not worth it for this class of machine, unless you are talking about a Badlands winch. I've got a Grizzly 7" x 12" bandsaw, probably a G0561 that's been ok for me. A lot better than the HF & then Frankenstein HF garage sale Jet 4.5x6 I use to use. Not that much better than some of the HF class stuff, but is decent.
20240323_151842.jpg

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #8  
Why don't you just rain on the parade. Looks like I won't bet getting a new drill press, lol. Didn't even think about the fact the shank went into another taper that is in good shape. I can deal with the belt alignment issues & swapping belts for now. Will probably keep an eye out for a good deal on a good used variable speed beefy press on the used market in the near term & still shoot for a mill in the longer term.

HF was never an option. Just not worth it for this class of machine, unless you are talking about a Badlands winch. I've got a Grizzly 7" x 12" bandsaw, probably a G0561 that's been ok for me. A lot better than the HF & then Frankenstein HF garage sale Jet 4.5x6 I use to use. Not that much better than some of the HF class stuff, but is decent.
View attachment 858695

Oh Sorry, I just noticed which end you were having the problem with on the taper from the pics.
You can also get an integrated chuck / taper which could improve run out at the same time.

That was one thing I did not get with the Arboga, so I found a Shar's MT4 with a 5/8" chuck with .0026" TIR for under $60. Very pleased with it.

That looks like a nice press, that will still serve you well. I only had a small bench top press and once I decided to upgrade, there wasn't much in the way of used nice units on FB or CL, so since HF had those larger models i gave it a chance and ended up taking it back.

That thin column was a deal breaker for me. Luckily the big press showed up for $500 and
I was able to get it instead of the HF "HD" model.

ps. Funny thing is I bought a 40939 HF knee mill and it has been OK along with my HF Taiwan 12 x 24 gap bed lathe. I have had several good machines from HF and if they had put a thick stronger column and cast Iron supports I would have kept it. Rumor is HF is discontinuing the DP model I bought and the next smaller one as well.

Last edited:
   / Replacement drill press recommendations? #9  
I replaced mine with a Baileigh. I really like it. I bought a cheap one but they have some really nice presses. Mine is variable with 5/8" chuck. I think it was around $1500 at the time.

/ Replacement drill press recommendations? #10  

View attachment 858639 View attachment 858640

Get the mill. Really. And get one with the variable speed that works like a Reeves drive. I am a retired self employed machinist. Even though I have CNC machines that use VFD spindle drives I would not consider a manual machine with a VFD because the VFD drive machines are constant torque below the native motor speed and constant HP above. This means that if you are running a big drill slowly the VFD powered machine will not deliver the torque that a Reeves drive would. Also, a Bridgeport type mill is way more convenient than a drill press. I have 4 drill presses, 3 are for specialized use and 1 is just for drilling holes. Still, I use my Bridgeport mill the most for drilling holes.
Eric