Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #1  

jclaudii

Silver Member
Tractor
MF35, Kubota7040, Case885, Ford 1100
I am contemplating fixing up an old Long 1199A/B Backhoe and one of the things that will need redone are the hydraulic lines, almost all of them! The manual calls for the 90 Degree Elbows at the Cylinders to be 3/4 -16 So I am guessing this is 3/4 inch hose? Most all of the hoses are deteriorated enough to be through to the steel braiding so getting info off of them is almost impossible.

I am also curious on how much of a "safety margin" should there be in the hydraulic lines? Basically, what PSI rating of hose should I purchase? The hydraulics are self contained with a PTO gearbox that pumps 10GPM with a system relief set at 2000psi and the swing circuit set at 2500psi. I'm just guessing that 3000psi replacement hoses would be good, but I am not sure so I am asking for assistance here. There is single wire, Two wire, flex this, etc and I just need some cheap hoses to get going again. I was going to price buying bulk hose and then just taking that to have fittings put on. I have not looked yet to see if the hoe may have reusable fittings on it or not yet.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #2  
I do not know your hoe, but 3/4-16 threads are used on 1/2" ORB (SAE) fittings. 1/2" hose is
plenty big enough for your flow rate. JIC 37 fittings also use that thread, but they can
be readily indentified by the compression end. Do your fittings have O-rings?

A cheaper 3000# hose is fine, one wire or 2, like 100r17.

I suggest ordering them from discounthydraulichose.com a TBN advertiser. I just
ordered a pair from them and two 9.5' hoses were about $70, total, with JIC ends,
shipped.

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe
Thanks for the reply, I will check beginning of next week for the hose ends as I got tied up playing with a tractor for a bit. The only hose I blew so far was a stabilizer line when I moved it to it's current resting place a few years ago.

I will have to pull the lines and tape the cylinders up so I can measure. The manual for a Long 1199b does not tell info like length of hose or size, just a part number that I can not cross reference anywhere.

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #4  
I've personally found that taking the old hoses to my local NAPA store and letting them rebuild the lines is the cheapest method around my area. They even beat the online deals...

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #5  
i got a bunch of hoses and fittings at TSC......cheaper than anywhere else around here.

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #6  
My backhoe 18 years old and some of my hoses are still original, others have been replaced at least once, some twice. In my experience, just about every hose is unique. I would never try to bulk up on hose hoping to have the right size, or try to guess what sized fittings to buy. Just take off the hose and take it to a shop to get a new one made. NAPA does them like mentioned, but they are pricey. I go to a company called Axxion. Best prices and they make the new hose while you wait and get rid of the old one.

Aaxion Incorporated

You never know when a hose is going to fail, or why. If it's not leaking, don't mess with it. Some are a nightmare to remove. Put that off as long as possible!!!

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #7  
I buy my replacement hoses at Rural King cheapest place around here. Hold the taxes for farm use. Take your hose with you and be sure new will work. Some ugly hoes last a long time. As EddieWalker pointed out some of the hoses are hard to remove without removing a couple of other things. Straight forward wrenching.

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #8  
That is correct about the threads, and 1/2 hose. Be carefull though you can have -8 fittings or -10 both on number 8 or 1/2 " hose.
The place in Nebraska called Surplus Center has great prices on 2 wire hoses and a tech section to help you verify your fitting sizes. One wire hoses will cause grief on a backhoe because of surge loads. When you hit a rock or swing too fast a stop quickly you may exceed set pressures.

/ Replacement Hydraulic Hoses for old backhoe #10  
One wire hoses will cause grief on a backhoe because of surge loads. When you hit a rock or
swing too fast a stop quickly you may exceed set pressures.

Your industrial hoes prob have shock-relief valves on all the circuits to protect from that. Even my Bulgarian-made CUT hoe
has them on some of the circuits, including swing and boom. I would get hoses rated at least 500psi more than working
pressure.