replacement rops for jd2305

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #11  
JMHO....

I always here the doom and gloom of the ROPS issue. I think it's more worry than fact. there is nothing special about the rops...at least my rops. 1/4" steel, easy to drill and tap. Somewhere some guy or machine welded it in the first place. Certified welders weld high pressure vessels, pipes, etc all day long. If I sell my kubota to someone and the seatbelt fails is he gonna sue me becuase I didn't use the seatbelt therefor it rusted and wouldn't stay snapped. I guess he can try.

If you buy an old JD with no rops and roll it will you sue JD becuase it should have had a rops all along...or fitted all the old with new rops? How come a riding mower doesn't have a rops.

A recent thread about wiring...if you DIY and don't wire to code and something happend you are not covered. But if I put the newspaper in the oven and broil it and burn the house down I am? Or if I just overload an extension cord and burn it down. Just an average joe doesn't keep up with the current rating of a 50' cord. If you are driving to fast, smack something, get a ticket, insurance still pays for the car if you have the coverage.

I don't have a problem welding on a rops, if you look at mine I'd worry more about a bolt failing or twisting off the axle housing in a real bad turnover.

I don't know, people do sue. Cessna was out of business for years(the planes fault for a guy with 50 hours flying in a thunderstorm!!), the ATV almost might not be here these days. I guess if I cut my hand with my pocket knife I should send the bills to Buck!! :D

OK sorry I've done my 1st quarter legal rant for the year, I'll go back to lunch. :D :D Until April......:D

/ replacement rops for jd2305
Thanks for all the replies, I'll give Femco a look see. I was kinda hoping there was some type of bracket I could use to put my rops back together with. I cut off the top 2' above the lights, but left enough room where I could bolt a bracket on. But I agree 299 is a steal for a new fold down rops.

now if I can just find out who planted all these trees, so I can bill them for the new rops, since I had to cut mine off to mow under them:eek:

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #13  
meb9796 said:
Thanks for all the replies, I'll give Femco a look see. I was kinda hoping there was some type of bracket I could use to put my rops back together with. I cut off the top 2' above the lights, but left enough room where I could bolt a bracket on. But I agree 299 is a steal for a new fold down rops.

now if I can just find out who planted all these trees, so I can bill them for the new rops, since I had to cut mine off to mow under them:eek:

OK if you just want to shorten the standard rops, that's what I did. I cut 2" off the top piece, and redrilled the top hold. I have 1/2" clearance between the header and rops. Slightly hard to rebolt, just needed a clamp to pull it in about 1/4" and it ain't comming off again. I got pics at the office.

Rob

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #14  
Pic of my handy work....So sue me!! :D

But it fits! Actually with the turfs, it was lower and fit. The R1's added some height.

Attachments

• cutrops.JPG
    cutrops.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 172
  • clearance1.JPG
    clearance1.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 168
  • clearance2.JPG
    clearance2.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 155
   / replacement rops for jd2305 #15  
I suspect the mfg is concerned that if they sold folding rops, it would get left down, somebody killed and they would get sued. The argument would be that the mfg should have foreseen that the owner would have left it down and got killed. So the jury should decide whether to hold the mfg liable. Then the the plaintiff's lawyers just want to get the case in the hands of the jury and hope that the jury feels inclined to give some of the mfg's $ to the survivors out of sympathy.

The contrary argument is that the nonfolding rops won't fit a standard garage and therefore tinkering with the standard rops is foreseeable, too, for which the mfg is liable if the altered ROPS fails. But then the mfg would argue that they aren't responsible for any alteration.

But the guy who gets hurt---all he would have cared about is to have had a ROPS that would have kept him safe.

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #16  
2manyrocks said:
But the guy who gets hurt---all he would have cared about is to have had a ROPS that would have kept him safe.

2manyrocks I think that sums it up real well.

Which leads me to another question about ROPS that I've been wondering about. I'm not a mechanical or safety engineer, so I really don't have a clue as to the why not, but I've been wondering, why "foldable ROPS", why not "telescoping ROPS"? Maybe somebody has already done this? But, when I make a modification to my ROPS, I'm thinking I'll cut them off about chin high(when I'm seated) and then find a smaller size square tubing that will just fit inside the ROPs left on the tractor. Bend the new tubing into an upside down 'U' & drill holes every 'x' amount of inches in both the 'telescoping' portion and the rigid ROPS to accept a sideways 'U' shaped hitch type pins. Then I could raise or lower the telescoping portion to whatever height I want and still have a rollbar configuration? Would this be just as safe or safer than a "foldable ROPS"? Or is this a bad idea because of the trying to find and then bend the correct inside tubing?

Thanks,
Ray

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #17  
raykos said:
Or is this a bad idea because of the trying to find and then bend the correct inside tubing?

Thanks,
Ray

I think it would be just as strong. But it will require a little noodling to get the angles worked out. On mine I would only have a little adjustment because where the fixed rops curves below the break. The 2 inches I took out of mine allow me get get into a standard garage. If I need a little more I can always deflate the tires to get maybe 3-4 inches. But then again I only have 2 different garages and that's all I need to get into to. :D

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #18  
raykos said:
Which leads me to another question about ROPS that I've been wondering about. I'm not a mechanical or safety engineer, so I really don't have a clue as to the why not, but I've been wondering, why "foldable ROPS", why not "telescoping ROPS"? Maybe somebody has already done this? But, when I make a modification to my ROPS, I'm thinking I'll cut them off about chin high(when I'm seated) and then find a smaller size square tubing that will just fit inside the ROPs left on the tractor. Bend the new tubing into an upside down 'U' & drill holes every 'x' amount of inches in both the 'telescoping' portion and the rigid ROPS to accept a sideways 'U' shaped hitch type pins. Then I could raise or lower the telescoping portion to whatever height I want and still have a rollbar configuration? Would this be just as safe or safer than a "foldable ROPS"? Or is this a bad idea because of the trying to find and then bend the correct inside tubing?

Ray, I had one of the Standard L tractors, the 4WD version of what Rob has.
Its ROPS was in 2 pieces, bolted together with sleeves inside. I took it apart
once and it was difficult for one person to lift up (hard!) in just the right
part of the center of the top of the hoop. I think a telescoping roll bar
would work, but it would be harder than a folding one to adjust. A least
it would not be left in the folded position!

Notice I did not say don't do it. I shortened up the ROPS on my Kioti and
I used sleeve plates inside the rectangular tubing to provide additional
strength at the welds. I can drive it into my workshop now, though I did
install an 8x8 sectional door. I never fold it, though I still have the joints.

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #19  
dfkrug said:
I took it apart
once and it was difficult for one person to lift up (hard!) in just the right
part of the center of the top of the hoop.

I wonder if you ran into what I did. I took out the top to bolts to pull it off. Very hard as you say. But while fiddling with it I losened the bottom bolts of the inner sleeve. It would slide on and off real easy then.

Last time I took mine off I took it off with the cover in place. Almost killed myself. 2 man job. Even when I put it back on I tried to put the cover on separate...again almost killed myself...another 2 man job. When I orginally put the cover on I just put up the lightweight frame first, then added the plywood. I hope I NEVER have to remove that thing again.

Rob

/ replacement rops for jd2305 #20  
RobJ said:
I wonder if you ran into what I did. I took out the top to bolts to pull it off. Very hard as you say. But while fiddling with it I losened the bottom bolts of the inner sleeve. It would slide on and off real easy then.

Last time I took mine off I took it off with the cover in place. Almost killed myself. 2 man job. Even when I put it back on I tried to put the cover on separate...again almost killed myself...another 2 man job. When I orginally put the cover on I just put up the lightweight frame first, then added the plywood. I hope I NEVER have to remove that thing again.

I hear ya, Rob. Once was enough for me....and I did not have any canopy!