Replacing carburetor on Ford 4500

/ Replacing carburetor on Ford 4500 #1  

metalurge

I just rebuilt the holley carb on my tractor. I havent put it back on the tractor yet. I hate the design of them. I was wondering if there's a marvel carburetor that might fit on this tractor. Or if it's even safe to mount a cast iron carb onto the aluminum intake. I looked around on the internet, and it looks like the carb from a john deere 2020 might work. The mounting bolt spacing is the same
2-11/16" and the linkages are on the correct side for the 4500 tractor. And it doesn't have that pesky accelerator pump. And it's way cheaper to rebuild. So just wondering if anyone has done a similar swap. I just don't want to buy a $500 zenith carb down the road. And I don't like aluminum carbs on a tractor. I had one break on me before. A little branch hit it and cracked it in half while driving through the woods. Wouldn't happen with a cast iron carb.

/ Replacing carburetor on Ford 4500 #2  
I can't help you with using a carb from another tractor.
I can say that a Zenith is a direct bolt-on replacement for that bloody Holley.
I have installed four of these carbs over the years. The price will make you wince but the carb will make the tractor RUN.

Ford 4000 Carburetor - 13912

/ Replacing carburetor on Ford 4500
It's that high price I'm wanting to avoid. I know it's still a lot less expensive than having to replace an injection pump on a diesel tractor.