Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor?

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #11  
If and when the motor quits on my DP this is on my plan as well. Two ways to go, the DC/controller route or (and I think this may actually work out better) a 3-phase AC motor (typically VERY cheap on eBay since no one normally wants a 3-ph motor for home use) and a variable-frequency controller (not so cheap) that let's you run said motor on normal 1-ph AC.

Both methods are supposed to be able to deliver high torque at very low speed.

Google around for the home-machinest crowd, this exact type of motor changeout is popular for small lathes for the same low rpm reasons (and greater speed flexibility) you're looking for.

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #12  
If and when the motor quits on my DP this is on my plan as well. Two ways to go, the DC/controller route or (and I think this may actually work out better) a 3-phase AC motor (typically VERY cheap on eBay since no one normally wants a 3-ph motor for home use) and a variable-frequency controller (not so cheap) that let's you run said motor on normal 1-ph AC.

Both methods are supposed to be able to deliver high torque at very low speed.

Google around for the home-machinest crowd, this exact type of motor changeout is popular for small lathes for the same low rpm reasons (and greater speed flexibility) you're looking for.

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #13  
I would sugggest a 3 phase vector drive that what we are switching all the dc moters to at the plant were I work

web page

it takes 120v singe phase (wall outlet) and makes 230v 3 phase the vector senses the set speed and acts like an encoder to keep speed the same as load changes.
tom

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #14  
I would sugggest a 3 phase vector drive that what we are switching all the dc moters to at the plant were I work

web page

it takes 120v singe phase (wall outlet) and makes 230v 3 phase the vector senses the set speed and acts like an encoder to keep speed the same as load changes.
tom