Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #11  
Egon:
Where are you in Nova Scotia?
I will be bringing my Ford 1920 up to Shelburne to use at my summer place in July.
I need a new 60" bucket edge, and would love to know where your welder is.
Please e-mail me at: grtone@gmail.com

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #12  
I have a JD 4320 and I ordered it with the HD bucket when new, 400X loader.The HD bucket come with holes in the cutter bar so that a replaceable cutting edge can be installed. The HD bucket also encloses the top lip of the bucket to form a box section. I bought the bolt on cutter bar maybe 2 years after buying the tractor best thing to do. Now the removable cutter bar is getting a little worn and it can be reversed for a new edge but that will be some time later. It has the flush bolts on the bottom edge as noted in other posts. Brother in-law wanted me to rebuild his bucket on his JD 7410 but he took it to town and a local company did it. New bottom shelf, wear bars, all from mid steel and a weld in JD cutter bar. They cut out all of the old materials with a plasma cutter. They did an excellent job. Really nice. Only problem my brother in-law put his hole back in the cutter bar for a clevis and it cracked around the hole. I gouged it out and re-welded it. The other comments about it stiffening up the bucket are right on. Later.

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #13  
Most people on larger equipment add the
edge to the old.

Mostly because it is the easy way out. I happen to think stacking edges on a bucket is sloppy and ugly. Cutting an old edge out isn't the hard part, welding the new one in without warping the new edge and the bucket floor requires skill and patience. But that method makes the most professional looking job when done correctly.

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #14  
I agree w/ Hoeman00 about welding the cutting blade..

The only problem I found useing nuts & bolts,you could damage tar or cement etc..when the nuts are showing outside under the bucket...drag or dig marks.

Bolt on edges should use countersunk plow bolts with the nuts facing up, above the edge.

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #15  
The best solution is to cut out the old worn base edge and weld in or have welded in a new base edge with holes to accept a bolt on cutting edge. Then just replace the bolt on edge as needed

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #16  
Egon:
I gave you the wrong E-mail address in an earlier response.

Please tell me where the welder guy is that you used for a bucket edge replacement in Nova Scotia.

I will bring my my Ford 1920 to Shelburne for the summer, and it needs a new edge.

My CORRECT e-mail is: grtone1315@gmail.com

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #18  
After seeing wear starting on the first Kubota in the first year of use, I made a bolt-on wear edge. That saved the factory edge from further damage for the next 9 years and was still OK when that tractor was replaced. This time I made the wear edge before beating up the factory edge. Here are a couple shots of it.

Attachments

• Edge.JPG
    Edge.JPG
    615.4 KB · Views: 2,422
  • Edge 2.JPG
    Edge 2.JPG
    690.1 KB · Views: 1,383
   / Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #19  
After seeing wear starting on the first Kubota in the first year of use, I made a bolt-on wear edge. That saved the factory edge from further damage for the next 9 years and was still OK when that tractor was replaced. This time I made the wear edge before beating up the factory edge. Here are a couple shots of it.
I don't see anything ugly about that one and it looks to stiffen up the bucket edge a lot. Of course if you wear away the original edge a bunch, it could look a lot different. I always prefer function over pretty if I have to choose just one.

/ Replacing FEL bucket cutting edge #20  
Nice looking job was the factory edge drilled for the plow bolts or did you have to cut them