Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard #1  

To20Chris

Platinum Member
Tractor
LK3054
I posted about this on the Lawn & Garden page & got no replies, so I'm gonna give it a try here - does anyone know if you can replace the cheap plastic starter moter drive gear on a B&S Vanguard V-twin without pulling the flywheel? If so what's the trick? Sorry, I know it's not exactly real tractor stuff, but I need to get it fixed so I can get back to using the Kioti!

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard #2  
If you mean the starter pinion gear, simply remove the starter shield then remove 2 mounting bolts and remove the starter from the motor. Then remove the dust cover, retaining ring, upper retainer, spring, lower retainer, and pinion gear from the starter. To re-assemble just reverse the above, lubricate helix on end of starter with a light coat of grease.
A good parts dealer will have just the pinion gear, others may sell you the complete drive assembly. It is a fairly easy job.
Hope this helps,
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard #3  
My 10 year old Murray rider has a B&S 14.5 hp. The original gear ring on the flywheel was plastic and only good for about 8 years.

The replacement was machined aluminum, and I DID have to pull the flywheel, because the gear ring is on the bottom side and the same outside diameter.

Once the flywheel is off, just drill the rivets holding the plastic ring in place, and then attach the aluminum ring with the provided bolts and nuts.

Good luck.

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard
OK, thanks, that's what I thought. Now my only problem is that it appears the holes inthe flywheel are tapped for 7mm x 1.00 threads, and I don't have any long ones that will fit my puller. I'll have to get/make some I guess. Where did you get a metal gear? the one in the kit is described as plastic too - but I have not picked it up yet, maybe they changed it.

KENSFM, I tried that, but one bolt is directly behind the starter and I can't get any tools on it, not even my wobbly socket extension. Is there some trick to getting to this bolt? The cylinder next to it projects out at an angle, preventing any access from the side, the flywheel is over it, and the starter itself blocks it from the other side and below. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for the help guys!

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard #5  
My engine is the "Industrial/Commercial" model so it may be different.

I got my replacement gear from a local dealer, and it was a B&S branded kit.

Good luck.

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard
Well, I got it fixed - you do have to pull the flywheel to change the starter drive gear. Really a stupid design - if you are going to make a part "sacrificial", then it should also be easy to replace. Especially with the very soft plastice they used for this part. I was wrong about the threads they used in the flywheel for the puller - they are 5/16"

The new gear was plastic too.

/ Replacing Starter Gear on 14hp B&S Vanguard #7  
Chris,

Glad you got it going... perhaps the kit I got was an older one... I changed mine about two years ago.