Replacing Tachometer, compatibility question

/ Replacing Tachometer, compatibility question #1  

kspeters

Tractor
John Deere 445
Hi all, I have a 1966 MF 180 diesel. The tach needs replacing and I am having a hard time find exact replacement. My other gauges have been switched to color ones like the newer Masseys. My question is since my tach runs off of the generator can I use ant tach the has the same rotation or are they specifically made for a particular tractor?

/ Replacing Tachometer, compatibility question #2  
Have you tried checking through a dealership..?? Looking in the AGCO partsbook it shows The PN to be 194614M1. #38 in the parts list. Off to the right it says "check alternate part". When I select that, it says to " Contact dealer for availability". Searching Google I got 10 results. 1 original used for $90, looks to show 6K hours. Not sure how long that would last. Looks like the rest are all aftermarket.

I'd first check with a local M-F dealer and see what they say. May tell you it's not available but may point you in the right direction for an aftermarket one. I have friends that still farm with larger Oliver tractors and deal a lot with Maibach Tractor. Rudy is their go to guy for hard to find parts. What he offers is aftermarket and it says at the bottom of the ad " may require tach ring, hardware, clips, bulbs, decals, etc. in a few applications." 3609808M91 Tachometer 2500 RPM | Maibach Tractor Parts As far as I know everything my friends get from Rudy have been quality items. He's been in business for many years.

If you strike out at a dealership, and can't find a used one, I'd probably go with Maibach's. Always seemed to be the type of guy that would be honest about what he sells.

/ Replacing Tachometer, compatibility question
Yes, I have been down the dealer road and they say it is not available. Will most likely go with your link and check that out. I wonder if any tach would work that has correct rotation and such? Or are they specific to tractors?
Thanks.

/ Replacing Tachometer, compatibility question #4  
Yes, I have been down the dealer road and they say it is not available. Will most likely go with your link and check that out. I wonder if any tach would work that has correct rotation and such? Or are they specific to tractors?
Thanks.
I'd imagine a lot has to do with the pulley size on the generator.

/ Replacing Tachometer, compatibility question #5  
Had a 1978 mf 30b bought all gauges and cables on eBay all
Worked good it's old just needed to sell otherwise would not have even done that