Replacing the Battery on a TC25D

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #11  
Mike, I just had a thought....you could move up to a Class III Boomer and THEN the Optima battery will fit !!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Run that by the finance manager !!

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #12  
MikePA,

Yes, the battery I purchased is the same type as the original factory battery, but appears to be slightly taller - no problem using the existing J-Bolt clamp system.

NH Battery # F920DSW cost me $56.95 plus Ohio Tax of 2.99, for a total of $59.94.

The (+) terminal is in the correct position, back right side, which allows my J-Bolt mounted clamping bracket to fit, as designed, across the front of the battery. After cleaning up the cable clamps and attaching them to the battery, I coated them with vaseline and installed the rubber cable clamp covers back in position.

Enjoy the ride & maximize the seat time /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D
<font color="blue"> you could move up to a Class III Boomer and THEN the Optima battery will fit !!! </font>
Now why didn't I think of that? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #14  
Sure you could move up to a Class III Boomer and have standard batteries fit but those "standard batteries" won't have the NH flange on the lower sides of the battery that are used to clamp the battery in place. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

When my battery went on our TC40D last year I used a standard battery but had to buy some "j" bolts and the "dog bone" style strap (along with drilling a couple holes in the tractor to receive the "j" bolts). Winter starting was a snap this year with the new slightly larger amp size capacity battery. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #15  
When they ordered my 29 it came in with cottage cheese all over the battery. 7 months later it is full of it again. I cleaned it all off and it is starting to show again. I am going to call me dealer. I was concerned about it when it came in and they did say if it continued they would replace it. So maybe New Holland got a bad batch.

murph

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #16  
I'll third (or is it fourth at this point?) the recommendation for using an Optima for replacing the OEM battery (in uses where they'll fit). Put a red top in my Jeep 3 years ago. Due to limited garage space my daily ride sleeps outside. Even on the worst mornings of this past miserable winter I couldn't even hear a difference in the cranking speed vs summertime. Lot's of reserve, and given that and it's construction I would think ideal for a diesel tractor if it can fit.

Tim

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #17  
Mike, would a master switch that breaks the connection help. We use them on fire apparatus. There must be some leakage ( electrically ) somewhere to corrode the battery .... right ??

And now, the rest of the story...

I found an automotive battery at Tractor Supply that would fit in my Class II Boomer Battery area. It's a Traveller Advantage, Model 51-60, cost $34.98. It was a bit narrower and slightly longer, but fit fine. Tractor Supply had the J-bolts, cost $2.75. Also had to buy 2 new bolts for the battery clamps, cost $0.99, just to get one of the nuts to replace the brass nut that was on the positive clamp, since it was all but gone. The repacement nut was not brass, but I could not find a brass one. I put the original brass nut that was on the negative clamp on the positive clamp and the new, plain metal nut on the negative clamp. Also bought some Permatex Battery Protector and Sealer spray, cost $3.59. I repainted the hold down bar as well as the entire tray area.

This morning, I put the new battery in, put two of those battery washers on the posts. Tightened everything up, sprayed the clamps and buttoned everything up again. I ordered a Battery Mat online, cost $2.75 because I could not find one in a local auto store. When it arrives, I will install it.

Total Cost = $45.06

If this second battery also 'cheeses up', I will consider a Hawker Odyssey Dry Cell Battery. It's kind of pricey at $85.95 plus $12.95 for SAE Automotive Terminals. No idea if it would work, since it's kind of low on CCA at 280 as compared to the battery I just installed at 435 CCA. But once again, it's the only one that will fit the Class II Boomer Battery area.

I was disappointed that Optima does not make a battery that would fit (I sent them an email and they confirmed they do not make a battery that small) and that the MK battery doesn't have standard automotive posts.

/ Replacing the Battery on a TC25D #19  
Mike:

If your battery cheeses up again the best insurance that you will not have to redo your tray is the battery mat. I was a little presumptious that TSC sold them and I looked at the local store yesterday and didn't find them either. I see you got one online. JC Whitney sells them www.JCWhitney.com the part Nunber is 13UC2361R. The mat will absorb any spillage of acid and neutralize it. It has saved my gasoline driven Lincoln welders' metal battery tray from extinction. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

Daryl: No problem on the info that TSC had Battery Mats. When I looked for them online, I found them at Battery Mart, where I also found the Odyssey battery. Battery Mart looks to be a great place for all things battery related.