Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,201  

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,202  
The problem with using this sort of news for choosing investment strategy is that the big gamblers, the hedge funds and investment banks, have better research and have already placed big bets that will make the small investor's result random rather that predictable.

As I've noted several times simply holding S&P 500 through its ups and downs will exceed the investment results of 85% of retail investors.

Related, I read that ALL of the price appreciation of the S&P that benefits the long term retail investor, is not made during the hours the market is open but rather reflects behind the scenes major trading that the public can't see. So a buy and hold strategy is the only way to benefit from this or most other index funds. Instead of calling your broker when you see something interesting in the news.

Now - Should we all buy Tesla stock after its pricer has declined a little? :)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,203  
The problem with using this sort of news for choosing investment strategy is that the big gamblers, the hedge funds and investment banks, have better research and have already placed big bets that will make the small investor's result random rather that predictable.

As I've noted several times simply holding S&P 500 through its ups and downs will exceed the investment results of 85% of retail investors.

Related, I read that ALL of the price appreciation of the S&P that benefits the long term retail investor, is not made during the hours the market is open but rather reflects behind the scenes major trading that the public can't see. So a buy and hold strategy is the only way to benefit from this or most other index funds. Instead of calling your broker when you see something interesting in the news.

Now - Should we all buy Tesla stock after its pricer has declined a little? :)
Vanguard 2030 (VTHRX) retirement fund is down 12% over the last 3 years and even for the last 5 years.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,204  
Capitalism is a metastable system. It's stable until it's not. There will always be a next recession. That will not necessarily result in a panic like 2008, but the longer we skate the more likely a panic is.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,205  
Capitalism is a metastable system. It's stable until it's not. There will always be a next recession. That will not necessarily result in a panic like 2008, but the longer we skate the more likely a panic is.
Luckily Vanguard money market is paying over 5% right now, it's not a bad place to be. This may be my last chance at bargain prices before retirement. I missed 2009, never sold, and missed 2020, never sold. I'm not making the same mistake this time.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
#3,206  
These are the federal income tax brackets for 2023

Here is rate review for the next filing year. With SS payout up 15% over the past two years and perhaps other income inflation factors some may be interested to review. Bracket creep can happen.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,207  
Luckily Vanguard money market is paying over 5% right now, it's not a bad place to be. This may be my last chance at bargain prices before retirement. I missed 2009, never sold, and missed 2020, never sold. I'm not making the same mistake this time.
No offense. Are you seeking a personal goal or pricing the market?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,209  
Vanguard 2030 (VTHRX) retirement fund is down 12% over the last 3 years and even for the last 5 years.

Targeted retirement funds don’t make sense to me. Investments within the fund move and shift based on the targeted timeline that you buy into, the likelihood of that timeline matching up with actual market and economic cycles in a beneficial way seems pretty slim.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3,210  

I shifted a fair share into CD ladders over the last 3 months. The FDIC guarantee with returns of mid-5s on the short term CDs seem pretty good at the moment. Laddering gives flexibility to scale back out if things are reversing.