Retiring in Aiken South Carolina

/ Retiring in Aiken South Carolina #51  
Rich, Look at this web site it has crime rating for any address you enter. Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data - Trulia It is a real estate web site so it will also give you homes in the area. We are in the same process of looking for a new place to get out of the high taxes of NJ. Have spent a lot of time on the web site.

Also check out this web site if you are looking for a place in town and want to walk to shopping, eating out etc.

https://www.walkscore.com

/ Retiring in Aiken South Carolina
Thanks, Dan and Tom. I do get a little comfort knowing that some of my TBN friends are facing the same situation. A condo would be a little too radical for us, but I really appreciate the thought and info. Dan, you're someone who's posts I've read for years, thinking that you're also thinking of eventually moving off your farm at least makes me think I'm not so unusual. Tom, thanks for the websites, I'll check them out.

/ Retiring in Aiken South Carolina #53  
Thanks, Dan and Tom. I do get a little comfort knowing that some of my TBN friends are facing the same situation. A condo would be a little too radical for us, but I really appreciate the thought and info. Dan, you're someone who's posts I've read for years, thinking that you're also thinking of eventually moving off your farm at least makes me think I'm not so unusual. Tom, thanks for the websites, I'll check them out.

Welcome.

Strange how this Internet stuff works. I thought it was TBN that read my mind and a discussion would then pop up concerning the thought I was having but it is now happening on other websites! :shocked::eek::laughing:

I need to find Brin's tin foil hat...... :D:D:D

On one of the boat forums there is a discussion about an article in a boating magazine about selling the farm. :shocked: The article is stating that if one goes off in a boat you should keep a home on land. Well, that might work for some people but not all. I don't like the article because it ignored some important points and the article was one sided. A discussion started about the article, and while many agree with the article because they fit the parameters, there are others who have sold their house and moved on to a boat. Several of those people have sold the farm. Literally. They figure when they age off the boat the will move to a state that fits them better in their old age. One couple stated they will not move back to the state where they used to own a farm. They are done with farming.

I agree going into a city and/or condo is really out there. :laughing: I can't believe I have even considered it but I do see the attraction. We have vacationed in places where we park the car when we arrive and don't get back in the car until we leave. It is really nice to walk to places and not have to drive. It really is. It can be a pain if you have a load to carry or the weather is bad but you can usually work around the weather to some extent. Being able to walk to get groceries is really nice but it means you will be in a developed area. :eek:

What is ironic with our situation is that the big development that is making us want to sell out will have integrated commercial, retail, and residential. If we managed to sell out place, live on a boat until we age out and have to return to land, I suspect the place we would want/need to live, would be just like the development that is being built! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Life is odd. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Another thing you might want to consider with this big move, is preserving any assets you have if you get sick and need to go into a home or need assistance to live at home. I drive by a house every day where the owner has been sick. His family has been in this area for generations and their are landmarks bearing the family name. I know a guy who is a good friend of the family and the man became very sick a year or so back. He is up there in age but I would see him out gardening or plowing his land all of the time. He would plow just because he wanted to plow. When tobacco went away he would only grow some stuff, I think for tax purposes, and he just wanted to plow to run the tractor. :) I know what he was doing. Not fooling me! He just wanted tractor time!:D

Anyway, he became very sick and was wheel chair bound and it happened quickly. A nice ramp was built to the house and he had care at least during the day but I heard 24 hours. In the last few weeks, I have noticed that access to the back of his place has been blocked off by trucks, I have not seen him, and all of the other cars that have been there are gone. I assume he had to go live with family or go into a home. At some point, the money to provide all of that care he was getting at home was going to run out. Hopefully I will see the family friend in a week or and find out what has happened.

If you have not thought about it, now would be a good time to start thinking about preserving family wealth if you need/want to pass it onto future generations.

Later,
Dan

/ Retiring in Aiken South Carolina #54  
Rich,

How is the search going? We spent the last 2 months searching communities to retire to in PA. We narrowed it down to 3 cities and then used the following web site to compare one against the other. The one item that drove us when we compared the crime rate was how safe a place is. Given we plan to retire in the city we wanted something that was safe for us.

Check out this web site it compares a lot of info but also provides details on crime.

.: OnBoard Neighborhood Navigator :.

/ Retiring in Aiken South Carolina #56  
<snip>

Additionally they are some of the worse drivers I have ever seen, 8 out of 10 reckless drivers I encounter will have SC tags. I used to drive 50+ miles everyday in the local area so consider this a reliable source.<snip>
Have you lived in Boston or Seoul?