Reverse or forward rotation tiller?

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #11  
I have heard that reverse is best when you are breaking new ground and forward is best once the ground has already been broke.

Don't know if its true but I have heard that theory.

MoKelly

True.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #12  
I have a JD 2520 and and a County Line from TSC (which is a KKII) 5ft reverse tiller. No problem on any dirt clay in North Carolina. Outstanding for the money, built like a tank, and the JD 2520 runs it it well.
S.

KKII is an excellent tiller and can take quite a bit of abuse. I like the gear drive and the price is right. I have a 6' and a 4' set down to 36" more or less.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #13  
I have a JD 647 tiller on my 2520. Works greats. I have broken out some really hard ground without any problems

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #14  
I have heard that reverse is best when you are breaking new ground and forward is best once the ground has already been broke.

Don't know if its true but I have heard that theory.

MoKelly

Mo is right, as long as their isn't many rocks or stumps. I have had both forward and reverse tillers and found the forward models till in mulch much better. The reverse is best at one pass tilling even in the hardest ground.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #15  
kuboman said:
I use the LP reverse rotation. It digs better and does a finer job of pulverizing the soil. My only dislike is it pushes a ridge of dirt out each front corners so it does not leave a flat finished job. Also if you have a lot of rocks it tends to beat itself up more because the rocks get thrown around inside before they are ejected. But as I said for the job itself, they are superior.:thumbsup:

LP 50" Reverse here. Glad to know I wasn't the only one with the "unfinished" look. Thing works SO WELL though that I almost hate to use it. The soil is so fluffy it is like walking on a mattress. As far as rocks, I found out last year that a rock 2-3 times as big as a football was enough to kill the tractor! Stopped everything, nothing was broken though. Great tiller.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #16  
If I woulda bought a new one, I was seriously looking at a Reverse Rotation unit for all the pro's listed here...but then factoring in the excellent reputation and price of the "Normal Rotation" KKII tiller, I found myself asking myself if it was worth 1k plus bucks for a different rotation...If KK offered a Reverse rotation machine at the same price as their normal one, I woulda gotten one in a heartbeat.
The decision was made for me when I found a "Mechanically like new" Sovema 72" tiller at a price I couldnt pass up.
All in all, It is what it is, cant say I'm looking to trade up to a Reverse rotation unit...but when I was doing some "virgin ground" tilling, you could certianly see the difference between reverse rotation and normal rotation operation (tilling in reverse) but in the garden I cant say I notice a drastic difference.

I guess I'd reccomend if your planning on busting alot of virgin ground, go with the reverse rotation. If yearly garden maintenance is your intended use, I'd probably save yourself a few bucks and go with a normal tiller so to speak.