Reversing front wheels

/ Reversing front wheels #11  
Left to Right will not change valve stem side. It only changes the lug direction. To change the valve stem side you need to insert the lug bolts thru the opposite side of the rim.
Which is what happens when you go left to right maintaining tread direction.

/ Reversing front wheels #12  
Its impossible to maintain tread direction when you swap wheels, unless you either, install the bolts from the other side of the rim, or dismount the tire and spin the tire around. Valve stems dont magically change position.

/ Reversing front wheels #13  
Thinking about reversing front wheels on Kubota 7800 to fit snow chains. Question for those who did it: any problems with front end? How much additional spacing did you get?
Planning to do it for winter months only, then turn them back. No heavy loader work in winter just snow. Suggestions?

Sure, you can do that. Yes, there is a little more stress on the outboard parts of the front axle but many of have done it.
The main thing to check is how the lug bolts/nuts fit up. From the parts book it looks like you are OK there. No bevels that I can see, and both sides look to be flat. But you need to take a wheel off to confirm.
Swap sides rather than just flipping the wheel.

Good luck,
rScotty.

/ Reversing front wheels #14  
unless you either, install the bolts from the other side of the rim
But, this is exactly whats being talked about. Alex (the op) wants to increase the front track width in order to create more clearance for chains. The wheels will be swapped side to side while maintaining the tread direction and no flipping of the wheels, so the lugs will go into, as you say, from the opposite side of the rim. This will then necessarily also place the valve stem in a different orientation in relation to the tractor, ie. from the outside of the rim to the inside.

Not that any of this is an actual concern, just something you brought up then decided to refute in a later post.. LOL.

Last edited:
   / Reversing front wheels #15  
Its impossible to maintain tread direction when you swap wheels, unless you either, install the bolts from the other side of the rim, or dismount the tire and spin the tire around. Valve stems dont magically change position.
Think we have a misunderstanding. If you change left to right and retain tread direction the stem goes from outside to inside or inside to outside.

/ Reversing front wheels #16  
Yes I agree there was a misunderstanding. I just wanted to clarify, many people do not realize swapping wheels around effects width. I am also pretty sure some tractors have a conical wheel stud mount that may not be on both sides. (OBS Ford and 1999 up Ford trucks come to mind, very different wheels)

/ Reversing front wheels #17  
I would guess one or two people would not have considered tread direction either...at least until they stepped back after mounting.

/ Reversing front wheels #18  
After maybe 1500 hours on my 2550DT I changed them side to side and yes there was a modest difference in "stability" but not overly appreciable. I then began to have front end issues with bearings as someone earlier stated. This included one of the large diameter outside casting cracking ($600). I kept a set of bearings and seal on the shelf.
I realized the load I was placing on the outer bearing was likely causing an issue. I turned them back to the narrow position and away went the problems for the next maybe 4000 hours and counting.
I think it would be ok to go with the wider position if you reduce the capacity of the loader and avoid rough terrain (bouncing) but I use this tractor to work so it was a no go for me.
Yes, I do have around 6500 hours on this tractor and use it hard and do maintenance like clockwork. I have yet to have the head off, original injectors, two water pumps, three clutches. :)