Revisiting the PTO-generator question

/ Revisiting the PTO-generator question
Thanks, Neal.

<font color=blue>Try looking at this linkGenPower brushless generators. Then click on GenPower. I bought a 17 KW continous/ 35 KW surge, trailer mount, pto shaft, for 2500.00 delivered to my door.
I like the trailer mount. It is just an axle, narrow wheel spacing, auto tires (used), short tongue, and can be moved around by hand very easily.</font color=blue>

I'm not clear, did the setup come all put together, or was it just a pile of parts? For example, did they just give you the axle, and you were on your own to find wheels and tires?

This sounds like a good deal!

Bob

/ Revisiting the PTO-generator question #15  
As I remember, the generator came bolted to a wooden pallet (which was torn up by freight handlers but I could not find a scratch on the generator), the trailer came assembled with used tires installed. I do not remember if the PTO shaft & power cord came loose or on the pallet.
Assembly consisted of picking the generator up off the pallet which I did with my front end loader. Bolting it with 4 provided bolts to the trailer. Attaching the trailer tongue to the tractor drawbar & slipping the PTO shaft on the tractor & generator gear box splines.
Presto, you are ready to generate electricity as soon as you plug something in.

Attached is a picture. The uprights & tool tray on the rear, I added. They carry a pair of saw horses & piece of plywood for job site work table. Welder sits on the rear platform beside the tool tray.

Attachments

• 5-215265-PA210009.JPG
    5-215265-PA210009.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 142
   / Revisiting the PTO-generator question #16  
Rear view.
I added a finer mesh screen to the vents on the generator, trying to out smart the dirt dobbers, since this is likely to be in storage for extended periods of time.

Attachments

• 5-215268-PA210010.JPG
    5-215268-PA210010.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 113
Thanks once again Neil, for the info and the pic. Looks great! Now I just need to talk to our electrcian to see how much he'll charge to do the transfer box. And if I'm going to be able to help out neighbors, they'll need the box too. Hope he'll give us a group discount. :)

Thanks again,
Bob

/ Revisiting the PTO-generator question #18  
Trev;

For what it's worth, I had a transfer box installed a few years ago for $600. Has six circuits in it - have both furnaces hooked up, water pump, water heater, and various wall circuits throughout the house, including the refrigerator plug.

I purchased a 12,000 watt (not sure what the surge is - is higher though) Yamaha gas generator for $3,500 (includes tax). I've had to use it a number of times; works great. Doesn't skip a beat when everything kicks in.

Mine came with wheels, but it's a bear to move around - weights 400lbs. I have it set up so that I wheel it out of my walk out basement; I have to yank it up over the threshold to get it outside. The electrical connection is out there. I'd leave it outside permanently, but I don't want any problems with not being able to start it when I need to.

I'm considering switching to a propane standby system, simply because it would kick in automatically if nobody was home, and also because my wife isn't strong enough to move the current one around.

Regarding the 3pt PTO generator, I'd be worried that something on the tractor wouldn't run, which would leave me without the generator. Also, what if you need the tractor while the generator is in use (ie: winter storm and you need to plow yourself out). The cost may not be that much different to have a non-PTO generator.

<font color=blue>For what it's worth, I had a transfer box installed a few years ago for $600. Has six circuits in it - have both furnaces hooked up, water pump, water heater, and various wall circuits throughout the house, including the refrigerator plug.</font color=blue>

Thanks, Snow... I'm waiting for a call back from our electrician now. Naively, I would think it might be cheaper to have the transfer box just run everything in the house, and then be selective about what we turn on at the same time? Only one circuit to wire up then, rather than six? Or have I got it backwards?

Bob

/ Revisiting the PTO-generator question #20  
I'm probably mis-speaking when I say "circuits" - "breakers" may be more correct.

I think your limiting factor will be your generator. If your generator is large enough to run everything in the house at one time, then you probably could just "hook up" your entire electrical box.

The electrician will ask you what you want to run, as he'll need to add the potential usage of everything up to see if what you want to do can be done.

As an example, in my case, there's no need for me to use the electric range or electric clothes dryer during a power outage. I have a little toaster oven and an electric skillet that I can use if I need to. Assuming you have these electric appliances (versus a gas stove or dryer), you would need alot of juice to get them running, and it's probably not that necessary. It's your personal preference, of course.