RFI from Cree LED bulbs?

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs?
i don't believe in coincidence. I learned that from Gibbs. :)

As for ferrites. Use mix 31 (best for this application) and put as many wraps of the power lead thru the ferrite as you can manage. As the choking impedance of the ferrite increases by the square of the number of turns. so 2 turns if 4 times more choking as 1 turn. 3 turns in 9 times more. Every time the wire passes thru the center is one turn. If you don't know the mix of your ferrites, you don't have any ferrites.

Here is one place to buy them. There are many other places.

James can better talk this point than I. What I understand is some types of LED replacements don't require removal of the ballast. What I understand about that type is the savings is less and RFI is more likely.

I converted my shop 6 bulb, 4ft bulbs to LED with ballasts removed 3 years ago. Total of 24 bulbs. I replaced 2 this Fall.
Correct. Some don't require the removal of the ballast, but you do not save as much electricity, and still have the failure point of the ballast. You save time on the original install as you just snap in the tubes like any other tube. BUT in my opinion far better to remove the ballast, it just takes a few minutes and wire in the in model that runs directly on the 120 volts AC. I chose the single ended feed kind. Maximum savings, and less heat, and gets rid of the failure point of the ballast. If you know how to turn off a breaker, and can follow simple printed instructions and use wire nuts to rewire and a nutdriver to remove the 3/8 nut holding the ballast in place, you can do this job yourself. No electrician required. If you didn't understand that or cannot follow instructions, then do not attempt. 5 minutes later, you have loads more light, and saving a lot of money. I haven't seen any RFI from the Hyperikon 4 foot tubes, and the ones in the kitchen and garage have been playing for years. They are totally payed for now and the rest is gravy. Win, Win, Win. No downside noted so far.

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs? #153  
I analyzed the cost/benefits for replacing T* fluorescents with LEDs. it came down to whether or not the ballast was bad. If we were replacing the ballast becasue it was bad, the LEDs pay off in a couple of years.

The time and effort to convert just “because”, doesn’t pencil out. But, if your going to have buy and install a replacement ballast you can recover the cost of The LED bulbs and their installation.

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs? #154  
I analyzed the cost/benefits for replacing T* fluorescents with LEDs. it came down to whether or not the ballast was bad. If we were replacing the ballast becasue it was bad, the LEDs pay off in a couple of years.

The time and effort to convert just “because”, doesn’t pencil out. But, if your going to have buy and install a replacement ballast you can recover the cost of The LED bulbs and their installation.
I replace them in the garage or shop when the ballast goes bad, but in the house I replace them because they're ugly (bad color) and I can see the fluorescent's flicker readily while the LED is only obvious if I'm moving my eyes.

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs? #156  
I replaced my car headlights with LEDs.
Inexpensive ones from China.
How are the replacement headlights as far as aim goes? I've noticed the parts store "fog lights" need to be pointed almost straight down (more or less negating any benefits from them), otherwise the glare will blind oncoming drivers. I'm sure this is taken into account with the high end replacements, but the Chinese ones, meh.

Ballasts are pricey, in many cases more than a replacement fixture. I've read that if you're going to pull out the ballasts to install LED tubes you need to change the tombstones too. Supposedly the non-ballast ones are different, though I've never seen an explanation as to what the difference was.

Another benefit to LED replacements is that they come up to full brightness even in cold temperatures. Maybe not a big deal if you live in the south, but up here in the north it's a HUGE plus.

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs? #157  
I replaced all 4 with direct wire T8s in my garage when 4 tubes and one ballast went bad.
Was much cheaper to by a 10 pack of bulbs than just 4 or 8.
One ballast went in other garage, so 2 more tubes are in.
Now have plenty of working flourescent tubes and the LEDs for when the next ballast fails.

The Cree's in my house, have a 1 in 4 failure rate at three years. I have cheaper LED bulbs that are lasting longer, but not as good color/brightness.

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs? #158  
Do not need to replace the tombstones. Just make sure both connectors in the tombstone are jumpered as some of the LED T8s are only wired to one pin (ask me how I know )

/ RFI from Cree LED bulbs? #159  
I have a 60 watt standard a19 type Cree LED lamp and a Cree 65 watt BR30 replacement flood lamp.
I cannot find any RFI from either of them in the HF or low VHF spectrum. This info is just for those that want to know. It has no other significance.

Antennas are a OCFD running along the spine of the house at about 30 feet, so maybe 15 foot above the house, and the MA5B minibeam for 20thru 10 meters at a height of 40 foot(13 meters) at one end of the house.. The distance from the lamps would be approximately 35 foot slant distance.

The bulbs seem to be clean with this setup, or if there are any birdies, or hash I haven't found it yet. I could not find this information anywhere, so I am posting it here in the hopes it will help someone.

A19 60 watt:
[h=2]Model # BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-2U100[/h][h=2]Internet # 204592770[/h][h=2]Store SKU # 1000003071[/h]

Br30 equivilant 65 watt
[h=2]Model # BBR30-06527FLF-12DE26-1U100[/h][h=2]Internet # 204366182[/h][h=2]Store SKU # 1000009290[/h]

Ok now you have to go test some more to see how they stack up!

Philips, Sylvania, etc!